Bad starter or what ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKSTI&R1

Hey Guys,

So I have a 96' spi 580 motor, I pulled the carb to clean it, put it back together to check compression ( I bought it for $500 with trailer and sold the trailer for $500 ) I pulled 1 plug and put my tester on it and it wont really turn over, like a dead battery but battery is testing 12.9v. So i pulled both plugs and test one side again and it doesnt want to turn over for like a second and then it does turn just fine ( i put wd40 in the cylinders to lube it up as It has been sitting, did this from the start ) , tested both sides and they are 145 psi each. Put the plugs back in and doesnt want to turn over again.... I had this problem one time on my 95' xp after I put in a new wear ring, was to tight for the motor to want to turn over ( easy fix by the way, just use and electric drill, pump out if ski of course, use a impeller removal socket and run the pump with the drill till its eats enough away for a perfect fit, that ski moves now,lol ) So anyways I doubt they put a new ring on it. So does it sound like a bad or weak starter or is there a problem with the lower end or something else? Any input would be awesome....... As always, thanks guys :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Take jumper cables from your vehicle, not running, and clamp the hot wire going to the starter on the output side of the solenoid. Then ground the other on the block. If it cranks easily, you have a bad battery, cable or connection. If not, then it is your starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand how you tested the compression without the motor turning over. When you removed the spark plugs can you turn the motor over by hand, by turning over the flywheel at the PTO? If so you have either an bad battery or battery cable or a bad connection. 12.5 v. with no load is marginal, check the battery voltage under load, while trying to start, it needs to be at least 10.5 volts preferably more.

Lou

Hey Guys,

Sorry if my post sounded confusing, with the plugs in it will turn over but like 1 crank per second or 2, pull the plug and it doesnt want to crank for a second and then its like the battery kicks in and it turns over just find, it doesnt like the pressure it seems. I will try what you guys have said and see what happens, ill check all the connections and see if the wires are good or if then need replacing....

It sounds like a poor connection. But you do need to do as we suggested above to help to isolate the direction to head in.

Hey Guys,

Ok so I started by testing the battery while it was trying to start and it went from 12.9v down to 7.8 instantly when it was turning over. So I bought a new battery, it was 13.4v and put it in and started it. It dropped to 11v but it was night and day and the ski turned over like I thought it should. Wow, you learn something new every day, just because a battery reads good out of the ski doesnt mean it a good battery..... Thanks to all of you for your awesome input and help, I an very grateful and thanks for not being a smart ass like most of the people that put there 2 cents in, you guys make this site one of the best out there, and again thank you :hurray::hurray::hurray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back