bad leak from carbon seal, any way to switch back to the old style seals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaser21

hey guys, i have a 96 xp and 95xp, took them out this weekend and noticed that the 96 was leaking fairly bad at the carbons seal, and that my 95 was bone dry, assumingly due to the bearing type seal it has, so my question is is there any way to convert the 96 to the old style seal like my 95 has? i favor this one because i like to leave my skis in the water a couple weeks at a time, (i know this is bad but i ride my skis on lake michigan dowtown chicago so it is a pain to get the trailer back and forth through traffic all the time, its much easier riding my motorcycle down to the dock then hopping on the skis and taking off) so what do you think guys? is it possible?

thanks in advance

Not sure if a conversion is possible but since you have both skis you should be able to measuer the two and see if a conversion is possible and buy the parts. Another option is to fix the carbon seal but I am not sure if they drip over time. One drop could add up for a ski that is on the water for weeks at a time. If there is not enough tension on the carbon seal from the black rubber boot they will leak. One simple fix is to loosen the hose clamp that holds the boot to the hull (rear clamp) silde if forward to put more pressure on the carbon seal and retighten it. You will need to install a zip tie between the back of the boot and hull that was created by sliding the boot forward because it can creap back even when tight to it's origional position and the zip tie acts as a spacer. Also skide the carbon seal back and make sure the surface is smooth as well as the driveshaft ring that it rides on.

If it was me I would install automatic bilge pumps on the skis that will be on the water for weeks as insurance but they will only run as long as the battery is charged.

Yes it is possible and it's done all the time. Race ski's always seem to have the older style. However, you should carry a 8mm screwdriver to loosen the rear clamp of your accordion boot. Slide that baby forward a little(1/2") to put some more pressure on the spot where the seal meets the SS ring on the drive shaft. Re-tighten and try it. It should accelerate better to because I have found that if it's leaking then it's cavitating.

thank you for all your tips on how to adjust the carbon seal. but in all honesty i just want to avoid it all together, for my use of the ski, it seems that the old style is much more practical... so how do i do this guys? what do i need? any special tools, i have taken a pump out before so im kinda familiar with that part

sealed are better for me, but if you don't grease and watch over it you may one day find yourself with a water logged or sank ski do to bearings rusting and ripping boot right off. Carbon ring is more dummy proof.

i am pretty good with keeping up with the maitnence and greaseing so i shouldnt have a problem with that..... so what should i buy guys? just seal brearing and rubber boot. or do i need a driveshaft too?

I can see on a couple of my skis that the original drive shaft in there. Maybe it will line up for you or maybe you need to trim the new boot. Just make sure the clip groove is not riding where it needs to seal and you will be fine.

pleas ignore this post and continue to the one below, i couldnt figure out how to delete this one

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see on a couple of my skis that the original drive shaft in there. Maybe it will line up for you or maybe you need to trim the new boot. Just make sure the clip groove is not riding where it needs to seal and you will be fine.

oh so you have some skis that have been converted? have you done it yourself or did you buy like that?

so if i understand what you are saying all i need is this then,, correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEADOO-XP-S...arts&hash=item43af899d7e&vxp=mtr#ht_711wt_952

Yes that is the part. I bought skis like that but after seeing what they did I followed it. I have now swapped them routinely.

Here's the real deal, and my personal opinion.

A conventional seal pack will seal the pump very well, but any lack of maintenance, and you will find yourself sunk! (literally) You need to get a couple pumps of grease in it after every ride. This will push out any water that may have gotten into it. If you wait... the bearing could rust to the driveshaft. When that happens, you will have a catastrophic failure, with damage to the hull, seal, and driveshaft. (minimum) AND... since the seal rips from the hull... you have a 2" hole in the hull... and you will sink quickly. The ONLY positive side to a seal pack is that you can run it on the hose for as long as you like.

The carbon seal works VERY well... and it's dam near impossible to have a catastrophic failure. The normal way it shows that it's not happy, is that you will start to get cavitation. On a very rare occasion... the seal will crack, and allow water to come in... but not a rate that will "Sink" your ski. Also... a crack in the seal is normally from being overheated... and that's from running it out of the water. (That's big no-no) In that case... it's user error.

As a final word...........

I hear guys bitch'in about 2 things with seadoo. the carbon seal... and the wear ring. Both of these items are a good thing to have, and make it cheap to do a rebuild on their parts. Also... normally I hear the complaints from people with +15 year old ski's. DO you really think that the conventional seal would last that long??? NO WAY. The "Old" style seal pack, realistically, will last about 4 years before it needs rebuilt. And guess what... it takes a press, sealing chem's, and more $$$ to rebuild.

As far as the wear ring... it's a $40 part... and fixes the pump quick. If I need a "Wear ring" for my Islandia... it's $450 because all I can do is replace the intermediate housing in the pump. (Kawi, and Yamaha are the same way)

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for your thoughts dr. honda i appreciate it, after reviewing everything i thhink i am still going to go wit the seal pack, and make sure i maintain it regularly, it seems better for my situation, more peace of mine that i wont come to the dock one day and see a sunk ski

thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back