Anyone know anything about Boats?

CReynoldsMIZ

So I know the seadoos inside and out, but know nothing about boats. I found this little gem, my friend has an OMC Chris Craft and says motor parts are expensive b/c omc is out of business, but this thing has such low hours. Let me know what you guys think about it. I am just looking for like a smaller ski/pleasure boat. I might sell two skis and keep my 99 SPX. It just doesnt seem like people want to go out on them like they do a boat.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/4589989671.html

OMC may be out of business, but many secondary companies make there parts. There are MILLIONS if OMC products out there. To many for parts to not be available.

I did a little research the boat was manufactured by Seahart Manufacturing which went out of business in 1995, which is not a big deal as long as the boat is structurally sound. Personally I would prefer a stern drive Mercruiser but there were enough OMC drives manufactured that parts shouldn't be a problem. OMC owned Johnson/Evinrude which is now owned by BRP, so there is a little bit of a connection.

I think the boat might be overpriced by about $2000.00, last fall I bought an 2000, 18' Bayliner, with the 3.0L 4 cyl, 140hp. in flawless condition, on a Tennessee trailer one owner boat for $4000.00 and we should be in similar markets. Let's see if we can get an opinion from an expert this guy knows these boats backwards and forwards [MENTION=65307]Sportster-2001-951C-Stock[/MENTION]

Lou

Attachments

• 100_0773.jpg
    100_0773.jpg
    740 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_0770.jpg
    100_0770.jpg
    958.3 KB · Views: 27
i had a older 87 beach craft 185 with the omc cobra out drive omc 5.7L chevy. omc is a pretty good unit and never had any issues at all. it depends on what power plant it has as far as expense engine wise. as we all know chevy 350 is a great engine and one of the cheapest to work on with exception that the ignition, carburation and electrical must be marine grade which bumps the price a bit. not sure how hard to find and expensive the omc outdrive parts are, sold it about the time i heard omc went out of business but the real reason was to buy a seadoo:)

The price seems a little rich to me. I'd hold out and try to find somthing newer with a Mercruiser 5.7L

I did a little research the boat was manufactured by Seahart Manufacturing which went out of business in 1995, which is not a big deal as long as the boat is structurally sound. Personally I would prefer a stern drive Mercruiser but there were enough OMC drives manufactured that parts shouldn't be a problem. OMC owned Johnson/Evinrude which is now owned by BRP, so there is a little bit of a connection.

I think the boat might be overpriced by about $2000.00, last fall I bought an 2000, 18' Bayliner, with the 3.0L 4 cyl, 140hp. in flawless condition, on a Tennessee trailer one owner boat for $4000.00 and we should be in similar markets. Let's see if we can get an opinion from an expert this guy knows these boats backwards and forwards [MENTION=65307]Sportster-2001-951C-Stock[/MENTION]

Lou

I agree with Lou here: looks pretty good, price a bit high.

The boat looks clean; prop looks like it has been run thru the sand a bit; engine looks very clean.

Lou, by the way, are you sure you paid for that boat? The cop across the street seems to be giving you the evil eye.

Rod

Well, the early bird gets the worm. I talked to the guy for a solid 45 minutes today, he said he had a guy coming to look at it. And I just called him back and said the boat sold for 4600 to the first guy.

Darn. Oh well.

Around these parts we avoid OMC like the plague. Not many will work on them and the ones that do usually want more to rebuild an outdrive than what the entire both is worth and will take 2 months doing it. For a boat that size an Alpha 1 is hard to beat when it comes to cost if maintenance.

Around these parts we avoid OMC like the plague. Not many will work on them and the ones that do usually want more to rebuild an outdrive than what the entire both is worth and will take 2 months doing it. For a boat that size an Alpha 1 is hard to beat when it comes to cost if maintenance.

I tend to agree, I think you would be a lot better of with a Mercruiser Alpha 1, generation 2, outdrive, this is the current model since about 1999, with just minor changes to present. I have a 3.0L 140HP GM (Iron Duke), very good power to weight ratio and a real fuel sipper. The boat will top out 35-40mph depending on the load which I think is very respectable, my wife actually thinks it's too fast.

Lou

I'm looking for something currently with a 5.7 and alpha 1 but in my price range it's mostly 5.8 with OMC. Found a few older checkmate exciters with the 5.7 alpha 1 combo but they're either WAY overpriced or absolutely trashed.

I got a lil experience w/ ChrisCraft boats. They are built well....which translates to being heavier than the cheaper boats. Down side to that...they are often under powered.

I wouldn't buy without a test ride...to see how easily it gets on plane...especially with a skier in the water.

Back