Any uplifting TV show's out there ? I'm sick of dark drama's.

Spimothy Leary

not a huge daily TV guy, more prone to binge watching a TV show that has been out for a couple of years, and local news, etc.

But lately i've been in a bit of a rut, too much dark drama bringing me down.

My last few show's that i've finished over the last 4 years or so or I am trying to knock off now.

The wire (loved it)
Game of thrones (1.5 season's behind)
Banshee (loving it)
true detective (just starting this, depressing)
walking dead. (too lazy to quit watching)
lost (got old but finished it)
game of cards (1 episode, I hate politicians).
breaking bad (got hooked on that)
veep (1 episode, I still hate politicians)
how I met your mother (gave up after season 3ish)

i don't watch any prime time at all except big bang. which can be good because sometimes a show is out for 2-3 years and I've never even heard of it, then I can binge on a rainy sunday...

my wife just binged parenthood over the last 2 months during downtime at work, but besides that every show is kind of depressing.

Any suggestions for a positive TV show, or at least one that's not negative ?

I'd love to hear suggestions on stuff that you really enjoyed if there is one....

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree, tv can be depressing, my wife and i watch
Alaska the last frontier
building Alaska
mountain men
yukon men
life below zero
treehouse masters
the voice
gold rush
some of the old movie favorites or at least similar.
note book
remember the titans
frequency
flight of the phoenix
most movies that star "the rock"
tombstone
ned blessing (western)
second hand lion
and yes i do like to watch some chick flicks with the wife such as note book and love comes softly series as i am a romantic when it come to my wife, besides it being uplifting in this darken world. whew! ok, i really put myself out there, ouch! lol!
anybody else?

Tim,

Try Lillyhammer, you need to watch at least 3 episodes to get into it. It's on Netflix.

Also I like Dr. Who, but it's not for everybody, the early episodes suck, watch it from 1986 on, and yes there is a commitment involved here.

Lou

Tim,

Try Lillyhammer, you need to watch at least 3 episodes to get into it. It's on Netflix.

Also I like Dr. Who, but it's not for everybody, the early episodes suck, watch it from 1986 on, and yes there is a commitment involved here.

Lou

ok lou... on a whim last night was laying in bed with the with the wife, and I said "ok lets try this lilyhammer thing" 2 minutes into it I was thinking "man this lou dude is nuts",,, however, 10 minutes into it... I was saying... "dammmm, this is pretty good" so it didn't take 3 episodes, to get into it, by the end of the first episode I knew I was going to watch a few more.

Thank you !

at least now i'm good for 19 hours :)

Tim,
You're right. Not much on TV anymore. All those stupid reality shows on the big 3 networks. We watch mostly the History channel and the Science channel. From your list, I watched all 5 years of The Wire in the past 2 weeks, just finished today. Great show, but pretty dark. I was really starting to like Omar when he bought it.

Anyone know is Ice Road Truckers still on? I liked that show.

Lou, how long did it take to get into Dr. Who? I tried watching it for 10 minutes a few months ago and had to switch.

thanks to everyone for the replies.
I find it fascinating that so many people that I talk to are history channel, discovery, natgeo junkies, yet all the stuff on TV is a bunch of scripted reality crap,I haven't met one person that (is willing to admit) watches any of that stuff. Somebody must be watching that awful stuff because they keep producing it.

2 broke girls
A new show on el ray network is a prequel to the movie _ from dusk til dawn, very good but not uplifting.
Naked and afraid is cool survival show
Also we like The Americans and Justified , both on f2f
There is a new cop show comedy...the Brooklyn 99 or something like that and its good too

I got sick of crap on tv, and the price, so we cancelled it a year ago. Just have internet. Just ended a 1 month free trial of netflix and so far not very impressed. I'll check out some of the ones mentioned.

A few shows that I like that I feel are uplifting:

1. Justified
  2. Pawn Stars
  3. SNL (sometimes)
  4. Impractical Jokers
  5. Shark Tank

There are a few others I watch but as you said they are kind of dark..

I LOVE "Alaska the last frontier" - it seems 100% real

Duck dynasty is super uplifting, and although we know it is all scripted, it is still hilarious.

just finished season 1 of The Goldbergs,, a pretty good 80's spoof... kind of like Wonder years.

It took 3 episodes to really get into it, then really liked it.

Watched 2 episodes of The Millers and wanted to commit suicide.

Back