Another accelerator screwup

rj45lanman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Looks like I've fallen victim to the torn orange accelerator pump valve. I barley touched it and it ripped off. So I guess I'm removing the pump and fuel line going to it...

It seems that census on the forum is to change the low-speed jet by 5#'s. Since I have the 951, I believe my stock size is 80 so I'll try going with an 85.

I used to do this work on Holly jets but also drilled them to larger sizes. Has anyone here drilled these out? If so, do you know the bit size?

Attachments

• 20240523_230942.jpg
    20240523_230942.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 5
After running to Northern Tool and Harbor freight to purchase a small assortment of drill bits from .5mm to 3.0.
I broke out the micrometer, did some measuring and found the best fit bit.

Measuring .315" which equals 8mm
(Jet size 75 -> 80). So with the accelerator pump disconnected, I'm going to drill my primary jet to .315 inches to bump it up by 5.

I'm going to start with 1.5 turns out on the low speed screw and make sure my pop off pressure is at least 20lbs (currently 18).

Anyone have any recommendations before I button this up?

Attachments

• 20240524_210219.jpg
    20240524_210219.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 4
After running to Northern Tool and Harbor freight to purchase a small assortment of drill bits from .5mm to 3.0.
I broke out the micrometer, did some measuring and found the best fit bit.

Measuring .315" which equals 8mm
(Jet size 75 -> 80). So with the accelerator pump disconnected, I'm going to drill my primary jet to .315 inches to bump it up by 5.

I'm going to start with 1.5 turns out on the low speed screw and make sure my pop off pressure is at least 20lbs (currently 18).

Anyone have any recommendations before I button this up?
Personally, I wouldn't drill out any jet. If that wasn't the problem, now you have to buy a new one, and hopefully its available.
Deviating from stock, and expecting it to run better, is like assuming you are smarter than the engineers that designed the carb. You should
double check everything else, and don't forget the carb base gasket and rotary valve, & oring. you may have a vacuum leak.

Perhaps you're missing a zero in your number. :D I don't think you can drill a jet that small and have it work. Better off buying the jet you need and avoiding any mechanically induced issues.

Back