air box stalling

2001gs 717
My ski will idle in water fine just with flame arrestor on, but when give it throttle it dies, is it getting to much air with air box off, I have trouble with starting, with air box on, I have new carb rebuild, pop off on spec, high speed all the way in low speed 1 1/4 out, how can I clean jet while carb attached to intake, I feel this must be problem, some restrictions somewhere.

did you rebuild it with a genuine mikuni kit? Also if you need to open your carb(s) up just pull em. Its not to bad to do and you run much less risk of messing something up. i had to pull both of mine yestorday to replace a broken hose clamp.

Pull the carbs, especially if your cleaning the jets, don’t want to drop one down the carb throat. I know I will get slack for saying this but I’ve re used carb gaskets before when they haven’t been on to long. If you didn’t the first time you can put a small small continuous bead of 518 on each size of the gasket

Is that a single carb? Does it have an accelerator pump?
I think that you are so right, I think that I need to change pop off pressure, to go low end scale, for it will open easier on start up cranking, I don't have a good selection of springs, I have allot of problems getting right parts with SBT, how do I know if using correct spring, if they go by weight, don't have scale, standard stock single carb.

Pull the carbs, especially if your cleaning the jets, don’t want to drop one down the carb throat. I know I will get slack for saying this but I’ve re used carb gaskets before when they haven’t been on to long. If you didn’t the first time you can put a small small continuous bead of 518 on each size of the gasket
Do you think it's safe to find gasket on Amazon, parts house take to long on delivery to Houston

did you rebuild it with a genuine mikuni kit? Also if you need to open your carb(s) up just pull em. Its not to bad to do and you run much less risk of messing something up. i had to pull both of mine yestorday to replace a broken hose clamp.
I have trouble getting the right single gasket from parts house it's a standard single stock carb for 717 01 gs, can't find carburetor number on
carb

I think that you are so right, I think that I need to change pop off pressure, to go low end scale, for it will open easier on start up cranking, I don't have a good selection of springs, I have allot of problems getting right parts with SBT, how do I know if using correct spring, if they go by weight, don't have scale, standard stock single carb.
I was looking at Seadoo source and you do have an accelerator pump, is it still in use or had it been deleted? I would use the original spring that came with it, verify that your accelerator pump is working, verify the size of your needle seat and pilot and main jet. That way people on here have a baseline to help you with. Seadoo source says pop off should be 36 to 40, low should be out 1 turn and high out 0 turns.

I was looking at Seadoo source and you do have an accelerator pump, is it still in use or had it been deleted? I would use the original spring that came with it, verify that your accelerator pump is working, verify the size of your needle seat and pilot and main jet. That way people on here have a baseline to help you with. Seadoo source says pop off should be 36 to 40, low should be out 1 turn and high out 0 turns.
Is the rule of thumb, the longer the spring the less pop off pressure, I have dial caliper but know scale might give me a starting point where I am at with my present spring

Is the rule of thumb, the longer the spring the less pop off pressure, I have dial caliper but know scale might give me a starting point where I am at with my present spring
I’m not really sure, you could probably figure it out by looking at Seadoo source and comparing same carburetors with different part numbers, put the different spring part numbers in OSD search bar or look on seadoowarehouse and compare with what pop off each spring gets with same pop off. My worry is that you rebuilt it with aftermarket carb kit and you will be chasing your tail endlessly. I would just start from the beginning and verify a few everything and then go from there. OEM carb rebuild kit with new needle and seat, original spring and stock settings has always worked for me, I feel like without knowing what you have in there we are using shot gun method

Back