Adding Sub in Sportster 1800

Status
Not open for further replies.

howie099

Premium Member
Premium Member
I am looking to install a 10" sub in my 98' Sportster 1800. There is really only 1 place the speaker will fit flush on the boat. It is between the bow seating and reverse seat in the boat. The seats are like back to back with 14"-16" of fiberglass between them. I am worried to cut a 10" circle in place with not that much support. Has anyone with this model of boat seen anyone put the speakers in that section? I don't want to weaken that area. I will post a picture of the area and the speaker just about fills the space.

The speaker I bought doesn't need an encloser or anything so I was thing of just putting it in a small box and putting it under the cooler/steering console. I really don't like to put holes in floating things unless I need too. The sub is an MTX Thunder 10" Sub.

Don't be scared to cut holes. Have you seen my boat? After the first hole, it won't bother you. The structure can easily handle it. Mine have been in going on the 4th summer. No issues ever. Post a pic of the inside of your boat so i can see what you have to work with.

27.jpg

Here are the pictures of the inside of the boat. Looking to mount it between the the 2 seats.

2012-03-12_22-04-40_182.jpg2012-03-12_22-04-57_166.jpg2012-03-12_22-05-11_876.jpg2012-03-12_22-05-31_814.jpg

That is definitely an odd configuration. There is enough room in the bow for a party. Idealy you need to add 2 subs to balance out but if you only want 1, I think the place you have picked between the seats would work best. Kinda sucks though that as the driver you won't benefit nearly as much as everyone in the bow. I would have a blast with the system on that thing. I would add a row of speakers down below that bow bench seat.

The seat setup kind of follows the 14' boats. Adding another 10" sub is kind of hard because I can't mount it flush anywhere else unless I go to a smaller sub setup. I will have to try the faceplate in some other areas. I will go with the 1 for now and see how it sounds. I am getting tapped this year on adding stuff to the boat. I have Hydro-Turf and 2nd battery to add yet. I just put the 2 new impellers and 2 used pumps on after I fixed the gelcoat in the 1 intake from the other owner sucking up rocks. I am pretty sure thats why you see the depth finder in the one photo.

Thanks for the advice. I will think about adding more speakers up front next year.

Go for bad. Your not going to weaken the boat there any. If you secure the speaker well, it will replace most of the lost support. I agree with Foster, there is a ton of opportunity to go system crazy with that boat.

BTW "Thanks for the advice. I will think about adding more speakers up front next year." GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! It is a sickness I tell ya. For this year i am adding a new monster battery, 1 possibly 2 new amps, new tower speakers, on board battery charger (never got it done last year), and a dual zone EQ so I can tune the tower and the boat independantly. Going to see the Dr. next fall LOL.

My issue is adding another battery. Under the console; I think it's just foam for the floor and not fiberglass. I placed a battery there and it started to sink. I can't pull the foam up either it is glued in place no knowinf I don;t want to cut it out and see a hole. With 2 eninges in back it's real tight with the exhaust and the starboard side has all the cables & drain I don't want to cover up. I do have a little room right next to the first battery on the port side. I can't fit a full size bettery but I can fit another one. It was a pain running a fish tape under the deck to wire the Sub. I did find in the space between the 2 seats after I cut hole 3 flares in there. I double checked and there is no openings so they must of sealed it up by accident when it was built.

Post a pic of the engine compartment. I don't know what yours looks like, but i easily fit an extra one in under the oil tank on the port side.

That's where my first one is. I found a battery to fit in my spot from XS Power. Heres a pic of the sub since I was out.2012-03-17_17-04-12_914.jpg2012-03-17_17-04-21_576.jpg2012-03-17_17-04-30_158.jpg2012-03-17_17-04-45_150.jpg2012-03-17_17-05-00_876.jpg

Is that a small motorcycle/pwc type battery? It looks like you could probably put a full size battery there or in the same space on the other side. Where you mounting the amp? The sub looks good there except its upside down.

I was using the PWC battery for refrance to see what would fit. The only bad thing using the other side is the deck drainline and the all carb cables go that way. I didn't want to put a battery box there and prevent access. I can't remove the foam tube on that side because the fan is their. I have to remove more foam to flip the sub around it was late and I wanted to see how it looked. Was thinking of putting the amp in steering console area. I really only have that area or in the engine area. I have a Sony 600w 4 channel marine amp. It't bigger than I thought.

Howie, i have the same boat and just finished adding a second battery(full size) last week w a perko switch. I'm going to try and add the pics. I added mine right next to the factory battery. Cut away the foam and there is plenty of room.

Ok, I can't figure out how to add the pics. If you want send me a pm and leave an email address and I will email you the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back