Adding a ski tow ring to transom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davo070

When I bought my 05 Speedster 200 the ski pylon was missing from the rear of the boat, not a big deal for me at the time as it had the OEM tower, anyway, the boat is in at the dealers finally getting the tower safety recall done and so I was not planning on using the new tower for tubing, even though it will be stronger than the original version. I ordered up a ski tow ring (hopefully in the attachment) and was planning on securing it to the transom towards the bottom of the engine bay door under the rear grab handle. I have concerns about the strength of the 'small' nut/backing plate etc that will hold this in place I as I am aware of the drag that a larger tube with 2-3 teenagers on will cause. Do you think I am best to put a metal backing plate on too to disburse the stress over a larger area? Anyone else done this?

Attachments

• ski ring.jpg
    ski ring.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced my oem one with one of these and it had a metal backing plate. I just reinstalled it with the new ring. You definitely need a solid backing plate for tubing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another concern is that where I am mounting this is actually on the engine bay cover, which is on hinges, do you think this will give me a strong enough mounting point, the hinges are at the bottom of this cover, near to where I will be mounting the ring. Actually when I look at the picture I took below, I was hoping to mount the ring right where the Seadoo badge is which may affect my ability to secure it properly. The only other option would be to mount it centrally in between the 2 lower re-boarding handles, this may give me a more secure mounting point but would get in the way any anyone re-entering the boat via the ladder, what do you think?

Attachments

• Boat 6.jpg
    Boat 6.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 46
If you mount that to the cover I think that you will be looking to buy a new engine cover. You should really mount it to the hull. I would also go along with the others on using something for a backing plate. You can get stainless or aluminum plate at your local hardware store most of the time.

that may be why it doesnt come with one from the factory. I'd just get a pole.
Also, i saw a guy using a rope that had a Y on it and it went to the rear cleats. You could try that.

Just below the grab handle is where mine is mounted. Handle is mounted to bottom of engine cover, but not ring. It'll could break your engine cover hinges. Could you mount it on very back, above ladder? Hull is thick there. I only use the pull up rod for helping us get out of water.

I guess I could not really use the central handle as that is still on the ninged opening, but I could use a Y rope attached to the two lower grab handles which are fixed directly to the hull, only other option I can figure is using something like the attachment on the hull in between the two gran handles so it would not be in the way as much?

Attachments

• flush tow ring.jpg
    flush tow ring.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 17
Davo070 ..

Subscribing to your thread ... I can't believe with all the options on these boats that brp bailed on the tube ring. I too have the tower, how is the tower for pulling tubes? My last boat I had the ring for the tube and the retractable post for skiing/wakeboarding it was a great setup. Let us know what route you take ... I'll be doing this mod aswell.

I was thinking of sticking the ring here:

111.jpg

Yep, I was leaning towards that mounting point also, only issue is that when reboarding the boat you stand the risk of catching yourself on the ring when moving from the ladder to the swim platform. The flush mount ring above would require a larger hole to be srilled in the hull but would at least sit flush so there was no possibility of injuring yourself on re-entry.

OK, decided not to mount the ring after all, decided I will just go with a rope 'Y'd off the two rear re-entry handles for the time being, if they can handle the weight of me hauling my @ss back onto the boat they must be able to handle my kids on a tube!! Decided the cleats were not an ideal place to mount, as when hailing the tubes and pulling tight turns the ropes would 'lash' across the rear of the boat so more potential for damage I thought, I will let you know how it works out once I eventually get the boat back from the dealers.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back