adding a cheap stereo to a 1995 speedster

Status
Not open for further replies.

cli55er

i just bought a cheap, no CD player, stereo from Academy sports. i don't see myself bringing my CDs out with me and messing with all that, but this unit has a SD slot, AUX plug, and a USB slot. perfect....just get a 8gig SD card and leave it in the radio all the time with the music you want, bam done.

it only comes with 2 6.5 speakers, but you can add two more or change them out to better speakers.

i mounted in vertical by the boat information sticker. so when you are sitting in the driver's seat you can control everything and see better just by looking down, plus i coulnd't think of anywhere else to do it.

the unit was only 79 bucks and it had all those inputs, its not particularly powerful at only 100 watts, but it will do what i want it to and wont draw alot of power. plus you can add an amp i you want from the 1 set of preouts in the back.

i plan on adding 2 way 6x9s in the back and 6.5 2 ways in the front. thats more speaker than this unit is rated for, so i should never have to worry about overdriving the speakers by turning it up too loud.

this is just the start of the thread, i haven't mounted the speakers and stuff yet and i will come back and show how i wired the head unit in....plan on tieing into the AUX power (black/orange) like i did for the horns. should beable to run the horn and the radio on this plug as they don't pull much, and the great thing is that AUX plug has a 10 amp fuse on it. i plan to go ground switched instead of positive switched as i can use the on/off key for the switched ground and the orange wire is positive all the time even when the boat is off, so that solves that problem.

so just flip the key to on and the radio will work, but since the safety lanyard isn't on the rest of the boat isn't using any power.

also another great thing about no cd.....mounting depth is much much shallower.

more to come.

Hank

Attachments

• IMG_2047.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 178
Hank,

I looks like nothing new posted since you started this thread more than a year ago? How did it all turn out?

I am the new owner of a 1997 Speedster 5602, and after taking care of a few other minor repairs, I want to get a stereo installed as well. I would especially like to see how you mounted speakers and wiring. Also, where did you obtain power?

Kerry

Hey Kerry Just about to take ownership of a 9 Sea Doo Sportser and the first thing after I install Hydro turf on the machine is to figure out how to get a radio on the thing...I am having the dealer install an after market Monster wake tower and was wondering if it made sense to make holes in the boat for speakers, and or if I should just put the speakers on the tower?

I'm thinking maybe I can ask them to add the speakers while there putting on the wake tower, or I do it myself...hows your project coming along?

Barry

My wish list for a stereo is on hold. I have bigger problems. A perfect storm of $5 issues converged this weekend and I now have water in the port engine and burned out starter, at minimum.

"The Trans-Am's up on blocks" ;-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back