A trip report... Harrison Lake BC

Scrubbs

As some of you know, I love bringing the SxS down from Fort St John and riding the monster trips down the East & West side of Harrison Lake. Over the years the family and friends have completed many a trip with others from around the province and the Valley, and have always appreciated the beauty of the rugged mountains and the fast, clear water of its mountain streams.

Having what could only be called a 'crappy lake' 13.6 km long, and tinged an interesting green color due to algae blooms, it was once again I looked forward to bringing the machines down and travelling the length of the Harrison.

Except this time it would be slightly different......

Gone was the helmets, rain gear, steel toed boots, air compressor, tow rope, straps, tire plugs and many other things normally carried on the trip. Instead, short sleeve T shirt, shorts, life jacket, and a comfortable pair of water socks was the trendy and functional clothing for the day. With a lunch packed in the waterproof front hatch of the GTX along with the small compact emergency kit, we launched from Green Point along the east side of the lake.

Just prior to leaving.

As you can see, the Lake surface was incredibly calm for being such a long lake, but this was earlier in the morning, about 10 am. We headed across the lake to the nearest island while my brother, an avid dirt bike rider, took his first ever trip on a Seadoo. We kept the speeds to about 50 kph on the way up, as this burns about 16 liters per hour as compared to 35 at full speed of 89 kph.

Heading along the island with the clear waters underneath the machines was incredible, as being able to see the bottom of the machines clearly made one think they were floating (obviously) instead of sitting on sludge.

A ways up the lake, I thought I should take a moment and snap another picture or two....

After passing Hale Creek and 20 Mile Bay, we flipped over from the west side of the lake to the east and enjoyed the many small cliffs and rugged beauty of the east side, having not seen it from this vantage point in over 20 years.

We came across a 'run of the river' power project about 5 km or so from the end of the lake on the east side, and noticed the power line running towards the end of the lake. We stopped for lunch along the side of the lake at a nice sheltered bay, and happily found out that the sealed hatch of the GTX actually kept the cold water quite cold even numerous hours later.

After lunch, we headed up towards the end, hoping to get into Port Douglas.

After heading towards the end of the lake, we thought that there was too much debris to make a run into the Port, and headed over to the west side to check that area out. Massive amounts of log debris made getting close to the river interesting, but due to the clear water, any debris was easy to see.

At the point where the Lillooet River meets the Harrison was very cool, as the color of the river was a 'slightly' different color.

The waters of the river met the lake quite violently.

The entire trip there was on calm waters, and as soon as we turned around, the lake gods decided that they should make it entertaining, and white caps sprung up very quickly. We had known this was going to happen, and laughed in their faces as we now, no longer worried about fuel consumption, sprung to about 60 kph and rode back bouncing and loving the jumps across the water. Those Seadoos handle rough water way better then the boats. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures at this point.....

Once arriving back near Green Point, we headed into Cascade Bay to look at the houses and play a bit more. After leaving the Bay, our fuel alarms beeped at us and we headed back to the boat launch. Each machine holds 60 liters of fuel, I had 8 liters left in the Wake, and my brother had 14. We had traveled over 130 kms in 30 degree weather. A most beautiful trip on an awesome lake.

Oh, and my brother......

Not going to be hard to get him out again!! :thumbsup:

Awesome pics. We get here a few times a year (it's about 75 min away) and arrive early to set up beside the pay-launch. The entertainment is well worth the $20 to launch. We just beach beside the launch, set up the BBQ and run from there. From your
post the same thing happened to you that always happens there - waves come up in the afternoon - and the lake is well...
refreshing to put it positively...:o

By the way - you have to hit Shuswap Lake. It is astounding to ride on. Essentially shaped like
an "X" you can hit all four (well actually 5) ends on a holiday. The lake has over 1000 km of shoreline (That's
600 miles to our US friends).

We set up at Magna Bay - about halfway up an "X". It's about 30 min to the 'Narrows" (the intersecting point)
and from their about 25-60 min to each point depending on your chosen destination. Last year we put on about
360 miles hitting all points. Just freaking beautiful - and no sharks at all (see other thread...) :cheers:

Did Shuswap a lot many years ago and will be our destination next year. I love watching the disasters at the boat launches, we watched one guy try to back down the ramp, try is the keyword. Another guy came over to tell us that he had to do 27 attempts to get there, and as we had watched him attempt it 13, we believed him.

People's, if you have a trailer, PRACTICE AWAY FROM THE LAUNCH!!!
:facepalm:

Back