99 GTX RFI water leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebuck155

ok new here. so, hi everyone. I have a 99 gtx rfi. it is leaking from the drive shaft area by the rear boot. i noticed today that the clamp that holds the boot was lose. would this cause water to come inside the boat when the boat is in the water running in forward or reverse?

Thanks
Eric

Very well may. Really all you can do it replace the clamp and test again to see if it is something else. Let us know how it goes!

Carbon seal!

If you physically pull back on that boot, then yes, water will come into your hull. The carbon seal that the boot clamp is tightened down on rides against a stainless plate that is part of the shaft. With the doo in the water, looking at that shaft and there is no water coming out.....then the carbon seal is good. If is't leaking pretty bad, then tighten up the clamp or check to see if the carbon seal has broken.

More research....the carbon seal is actuall called the Ring Carbone (part # 2720000420) and goes for about $35 and the stainless plate is actually called the Ring Seal Carrier (part #272000064) and will cost you about $40 bucks. There are also two O-rings in there that should keep the carbon ring up against the stainless plate, but it's common for you to be able to pull that boot back and watch the water just pour into your hull.......
BTW, to replace these parts, you must remove the jet pump. If you find the carbon ring is broken and needs to be replaced, then I'd do a good inspection of your pump while it's out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carbon seals can wear out real quick, on a bent shaft.
So check the shaft before replacing the carbon seal.

thanks i really appreciate it. it doesnt leak water when its in the water. just when i got it running. i put a new clamp on and will put it in the water this weekend. ill let u know. thanks again

eric

Water leak from shaft/carbone ring is loose but leaks only when driving.

Carbon seals can wear out real quick, on a bent shaft.
So check the shaft before replacing the carbon seal.

96 GTI shaft looks ok but should I have shop balance test it?

Also the ring carbone is a loose fit around shaft, but snug up Ring-Seal Carrier. Shouldnt the carbone ring have little play around shaft?

My 99 speedster has same problem with water leak when driving from shaft.

Is there an aftermarket replacement for the carbone Ring system?

Seems to be a bad design and leaks too easy. Even if shaft is off a little the carbone ring should be like other PWC like my 95 yamaha has a felt pack with no water leaks at all.

Thank you in advance for any advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back