99 challenger 1800 engine cutoff simultaneously / intermittent start Dess?

mcseinmaine

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for advice on troubleshooting an issue I have had for a while with my 99 Challenger 1800 w/ 787s.

The issue seems to be both engines will cutoff simultaneously intermittently. Sometimes it will start back up quickly, other times it will take a while to restart with no reason I have been able to find on why it starts again. When the problem happens, neither engine will attempt to start, all other electrical seems to work fine. I replaced the battery and that seemed to help for a while, but that could be coincidental.

My best guess is its dess related? I did replace the post 2 years ago with a used one off ebay with a new key as well. That didnt seem to change much on reliability though.

I need to replace the buzzer which Im ordering now, its never worked since I owned the boat, so I cant tell beep codes as of right now.

I would really appreciate any advice I can get. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
sounds like a loose connection somewhere. check all your grounds. check all positive connections. this could be simply at the battery or at the main shutoff. this means not only for tightness but remove and clean all contact points. i like to use sandpaper.

I literally just had this exact freaking issue over 4th of July week on my 1998 Challenger 1800. It started happening after I took the boat out on rough water. New key already, so I replaced the DESS post with a brand new OEM one and no change. I wiggled all electrical connections in front of the dash and near the MPEM with no change. Finally, I pulled the fuse covers off of the MPEM and found that most of the fuses were SLIGHTLY backed out.. Like 1/16th of an inch. The fuses are laid out vertically, and it seems like gravity may have pulled the top post of all the fuses down slightly. I pushed in all of the fuses on the MPEM all the way, and I haven't had a single problem since. Check your fuses and push ALL of them ALL the way in! That worked for me!

Thank you for posting a response here, I really hope your right because that makes sense! I have had the issue intermiittently for a few years, sometimes it will run fine for hours at a time, but it is mighty frustrating when your sitting there dead in the water and it wont restart or both engines cut out simultaneously while ypur cruising along. I will check all the fuses tonight, if that does not seem to be it, ill be checking all grounds this weekend. Thank you!

Yes, it is extremely frustrating when you're cruising real nice and BOOM, dead boat... I really hope that fixes it! Definitely post back either way so it helps everyone out!

I believe you may have been exactly correct! I pulled the fuse covers off of the MPEM and the first cover (closest to plug in wires) revealed (2) 5 amp fuses that were raised about 1/4" on one side. Looking at the manual, 5 amps is for the MPEM supply. The 5 amp closest to the outside of the housing was finger loose.

20240711_202547.jpg

Then I noticed that the housing holder for the 5 amp fuse is cracked on one side! No wonder it was finger loose!

20240711_204220.jpg

I have reseated all fuses and will be testing it over the weekend.

I am missing 2 fuses on either side of the 3 amp fuse. Is your boat the same or am I really missing fuses?

I replaced the buzzer as well, still no beeps.

Thank you sooo much!!!

Attachments

• 20240711_203136.jpg
    20240711_203136.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 2
Back