98 XP frying battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementsk8r3

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum so i hope i am posting this in the right place. Anyway, I'm looking into buying a 1998 Sea Doo XP that I found online a few days ago. I gave the owner a call and the only problem seems to be that it is constantly frying the battery. He has already went through 2 batteries. I did a little research and I've read that some people have had similar problems due to a bad rectifier. Basically i was wondering if anyone could help me diagnose the problem and tell me if it would be worth paying to have it fixed. Thanks

Basically, measure the voltage across the battery when at a high idle the voltage should be around 14.1 volts, if it's much higher it's over charging the battery. Also check for AC voltage across the rectifier. From what you are saying I would suspect the rectifier.

Lou

Thanks for the advice. I will probably drive down to Mobile some time this week to take a look at in person and I'll be sure to check out the voltage. If it is a bad rectifier, is this a relatively easy fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back