98 gtx 800 Replaced wear ring now no propulsion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.Kerr556

1997 GTX 800. I purchased this ski a few months ago not running. Had a broken piston so I pulled the engine and did a complete rebuild. Took it to the lake ran awesome, good stream from the pisser but was slow to get up to speed and would only run about 40mph. So I pulled the pump and the wear ring was in rough shape so I Installed a new wear ring took it to the lake for a test run and the ski will not move. Revs to 6k but nothing. Also noticed there now is no water coming from the pisser. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I cant seem to figure out what I did wrong.

'I think the pump is not in all the way against the hull,,,or the seal is worn,,,so you have no intake water pressure,,,water is being pumped out at the seal and not thru the prop/wear ring...therefore,,,the pisser is not pissing...nice way to burn out a motor.
Is the pump seal in good condition.
Just pull the pump,,,and reinspect your installation..Does the prop spin freely,,,you should be able to spin the prop with one finger and not get cut.

'I think the pump is not in all the way against the hull,,,or the seal is worn,,,so you have no intake water pressure,,,water is being pumped out at the seal and not thru the prop/wear ring...therefore,,,the pisser is not pissing...nice way to burn out a motor.
Is the pump seal in good condition.
Just pull the pump,,,and reinspect your installation..Does the prop spin freely,,,you should be able to spin the prop with one finger and not get cut.

I put in a new neoprene seal between the hull and pump. It did not have one when I took it apart. Yes the prop spins free.

For some crazy reason...that seal is often omitted,,,and it's cheap...yet over priced at the dealer,,,I see it all the time,,,it's a bit of a pain to peal/scrape the old one off,,,and scraping off the old silicone around the inlet fitting,,,sometimes that seal peels right off,,,well,,,not on my ski.

1997 GTX 800. I purchased this ski a few months ago not running. Had a broken piston so I pulled the engine and did a complete rebuild. Took it to the lake ran awesome, good stream from the pisser but was slow to get up to speed and would only run about 40mph. So I pulled the pump and the wear ring was in rough shape so I Installed a new wear ring took it to the lake for a test run and the ski will not move. Revs to 6k but nothing. Also noticed there now is no water coming from the pisser. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I cant seem to figure out what I did wrong.

I have a 97' GTX, when you reinstall it can be tricky, the driveshaft can be off center when you're installing the pump back on and it missed, not uncommon with the longer driveshaft of the GTX hull. I've found there's only two ways to make sure it engages on center, either disconnect at the PTO and seat the driveshaft against the impeller then carefully slide it back on as a unit until it reengages at the PTO. Or...get up under the ski reach through the grate with a couple rags and prop it up centered, then get back under there with a flashlight or mirror or whatever and verify it's engaged at the impeller.

Hhmm...you don't need a flash light,,,yup...put in a rolled towel,,,that will raise the shaft to align with your prop,,,,,
Have you removed the Venturi?,,,,that is the move,,,Venturi on to pull the pump...something to grab on...Venturi off,,,reinstalling the pump to bring your fingers close to the drive shaft prop mating area.,,,once in a while,,,I get lucky and the tip of my left fingers will mate the drive shaft to the prop.
Make sure you have re-greased the prop splines and shaft splines so they will slip onto each other easier....(don't forget to remove the towel)!

Well its fixed. I took the neoprene seal out and used ultra black silicone to seal the pump to the hull and now we have propulsion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back