'98 GTX, 12V low display immediately at start

Status
Not open for further replies.

sblack56

Last season riding my GTX about an hour without stop saw the 12V low display on. Headed to the dock and when I stopped the engine could hear the starter was still running, had to disconnect the battery. Found the starter solenoid was bad, replaced all seemed fine. Back to the water and trying to get away from the dock with a group started the ski probably 5 times, then 12V low display on and would not start. I have used fully charged batteries and same, 12V low comes on immediately when I hit the start button. Help?

its ok for the 12v low warning to come on for a little bit right after you get started, especially if you had to crank a bit to get it running, but it should go off in 30-60 seconds. are you saying that the 12v low stays on once started, or now the ski won't start and gives you the 12v low warning?

Battery itself, rectifier/regulator, stator winding, or harness connector issue. Should measure close to 13.8v across the starting battery while running and at least 12.5v steady state, engine off and cold before 1st start of day. Voltage should average over 12.5v all day on the water except perhaps during cranking you might measure as low as 11v.

Five consecutive restarts will take a good bit of power out of a small jetski battery and that would probably cause a low voltage warning, a sixth attempt might fail to restart but if the charging circuit wasn't working it would never recover the battery voltage to normal a level and it would be all downhill from there.

With a new battery, right off the charger, in the ski, I hit the start button and the 12V low comes on and no start, the starter does not spin. I though perhaps the starter burned up after running for over an hour. i have another starter, but seeking advice before i swap it. I have a 96 GTI that runs great so i could swap the rectifier to see if that is it. If it is the stator winding, probably going to the scrap yard.

I'd see if the starter will turn over if you jump the terminals on the solenoid. if nothing, then the starter might be toast, if it turns over, possibly bad solenoid.

i'd also check your connections since you said you just changed the solenoid, maybe there is a bad connection somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back