98 GSX Limited starts and idles fine but quits on throttle.

Burner21x

Hey all. New to the forum, and Seadoo ownership in general.

Bought a 98' GSX about a year ago. Has run splendidly until this past weekend.

When wife was out on it, she mentioned that it had hesitated a couple of times on acceleration, bogging down a bit before getting up on plane, but otherwise had been a good ride.

My son went out on it later that evening and called reporting that it would start and idle fine, but would instantly quit as soon as you give it any throttle.

Went out on it myself and had the same issues. Would start right up, can idle along just fine... But as soon as I give it any gas, she dies instantly, not sputters or bogging down, but outright quit. Unable to start again without pulling key and resetting.

Tried many many times under different circumstances... Slow increase, pinning it, feathering or fully engaging choke, same result. Would be able to get small bursts without quitting (quick rev), but any sustained acceleration would die instantly. Was running fine before this in the 5 or so hours we've put on it so far this season. Had clocked it at 92kph (57mph) with no issues earlier in the week.

From similar forum posts, I'm led to believe a carb rebuild is likely. Also potentially fuel filters and system. Also seeing some information recommending cleaning of Rave power valves.

I've had a boat for years and done a bunch of DIY fixes on its Mercruiser engine, but this will be my first with the Seadoo, other than end of season maintenance / storage prep.

Anything else I should be looking at? Order of likelihood?

Yes, carbs are the first thing. Easiest is OSD Seadoo Back To OEM kits and follow the Carb Rebuild Sticky at the top of the 2-stroke page.

Also a good time to replace the fuel on/off valve, any gray fuel lines and clean the fuel strainer with a new square o-ring. No aftermarket inline fuel filters.

Yes, clean the RAVE valves but that is not your issue.

Back