98 GS does not start, 1" of water in the rear electrical box, argh

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAJ@ti2de

"and it worked just fine last year..." :facepalm:

Rolled the winterized 'doo out of the garage, hooked up the battery (stored and trickled inside for the winter) and no light, no spark.

The motor turns by hand, so I'm not completely out yet, and I opened up the rear electrical box and there was 1" of water in there, ugh, so I ordered a new ignition coil and starter relay. I also bought a toothpaste sized tube of dielectric grease and will check all fuses and trace the wiring for corrosion.

Update: replaced battery and starter relay, the screwdriver jump revs the starter and motor turns, still no light, and start/stop switch does not work.

Daughter will be 14 in a couple of weeks and already passed boating class, so I gotta make good on my end of the deal. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same issue when I pulled my ski out of storage this year. Check the fuse and fuse holders mine where rusted beyond repair. I just bought a whole new rear ebox.

I replaced battery and starter relay, screwdriver across the terminals turns the motor, still no light, will test starter button and clean everything up under steering next.

If there was water in the e-box, you pretty much have to tear that box apart.

There will likely be corrosion within the female connections as well as across the bottom of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back