97 SPX - No beeps from Lanyard, no power to gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pwnage1337

Hi all

I have a 97 SPX that runs great. The issues i have with the ski are:

VTS doesn't work - haven't checked the motor to see if it will run with voltage applied.
The beeper does not work. I have replaced the beeper with a new unit, and tested it to 12 volts, and it lets out a nice screech so i know it works.
Gas gauge not functional.

I have pulled the grey box from the ski and checked all of the connections inside. they all appear to be nice and tight, i checked resistance through the wiring harness and get about .2 ohms on the beeper circuit.

The MPEM is a Seadoo OEM.

Could i have another issue at hand, like poor ground that is causing none of the gauges to power up?

So common problems are,
the beepers go bad and can be easily replaced.
The vts stops working from the motor being seized up, blown fuse, or the modual going bad.
The fuel gauge not working has to do with a fuse inside of the pickup tube that’s in the gas tank. You pull it out and cut it open and solder over it and plastic weld the piece you cut off back on.
I have a 98 Spx and if the 97 is like myne then you only have a fuel gauge and trim gauge, so if the trim is set to it’s lowest point than it won’t move at all and the fuel gauge won’t do anything unless you fix the fuse in the pickup.

I already replaced the beeper and tested it to 12v and confirm it works, which it does when I apply power directly to it.

It's acting like the MPEM isn't sending the signal to the beeper.

Sorry forgot you said that. Make sure it’s wired correctly or the pins the the connector aren’t corroded. All I can think for that.

I had the gray box split open and checked resistance through all of the connections and disconnected and reconnected all of them and they are all nice tight dry and clean. I'm getting less than one ohm of resistance through all of the connections to the beeper.

Also when the ski power's up the fuel gauge does not do anything. However if I run 5 volts to the fuel gauge the needle actually moves and indicates a level in the tank. It is like the MPEM is not sending any voltage.

I put my meter on the purple and black wire out of the MPEM that should provide power once the ski powers up. It actually shows a negative voltage once the ski turns on. When the ski is off it shows a resting voltage of basically zero.

What beeper did you use? The mpem produces a very small and quick voltage burst that not all beepers will activate. I buy OEM ones directly from Floyd Bell, the original seadoo supplier.

As far as the VTS, 9 out of 10 times it is the module that is bad not the motor.

Hi all

VTS doesn't work - haven't checked the motor to see if it will run with voltage applied.
The beeper does not work. I have replaced the beeper with a new unit, and tested it to 12 volts, and it lets out a nice screech so i know it works.

I have pulled the grey box from the ski and checked all of the connections inside. they all appear to be nice and tight, i checked resistance through the wiring harness and get about .2 ohms on the beeper circuit.

Could i have another issue at hand, like poor ground that is causing none of the gauges to power up?
Hi buddy , I had a slow leak through the vts boot on my 2003 rxdi and it fried my mpem..... so beware as a bad vts does not help the mpem

I wish i had an extra MPEM to swap in to see if it would work.

Disconnect all the VTS wiring and try the spare MPEM, to see if it beep beeps

I wish i had an extra MPEM to swap in to see if it would work.

Disconnect all the VTS wiring and try the spare MPEM, to see if it beep beeps
If you do end up frying your mpem..... fear not as I repaired my mpem as its a 5 buck repair..... I replaced the shorted diode on my mpem and my ski has been running fine since !
The hardest part was depotting the back of the mpem which took quite a few hours labour but saves u alot of money buying a new mpem

do you have any pictures or post a how to on how you accomplished this?

I'm guessing it requires an oven at about 300 degrees for a while.....
I put my CDI for my snowmobile in the oven one time at 250 degrees for an hour, started working again!

I used 6 flathead screwdrivers on rotation on a low heat gas hob and scribed round the sides on the back of the mpem .
Is your ski running (starting)atmo ?

Here is my depotted mpem pictures with the shorted diode ... its a very cheap repair

Attachments

• IMG-20220604-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20220604-WA0001.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20220604-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20220604-WA0005.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20220604-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20220604-WA0003.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20220604-162719_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220604-162719_Samsung Internet.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 8
My ski is currently running with no issues...just doesn't have power to the gauges or the beeper at all!

Were you able to repot the device when you were finished?

OK, well I can safely tell u your problem is not the mpem !
As your clocks and dess post are on the same part of the wiring loom I would hazard a guess to say that your problem lies between the mpem and the dess post and the clocks !
Have the clocks and dess post just stopped working recently ?

Make sure all your ground connections are clean and good...... I have 2 on my RXDI on the engine block and I can remember in the past taking on saltwater in the bilge and it destroyed my ground wires after a while !
U will figure it out as jetskis are just a case of track and trace

Hi all

Did you ever get this issue solved? I have 2 1996 SPX that both do the same thing. They crank just fine but when the key goes in, nothing, no beep, no vts, no gauges. When I hit the starter, the gauges do fire up, so is that normal? The key keys on the starter and when it's actually running, everything else works? I havent got them running just yet, just want to make sure I get everything squared away.

Last edited:
No I have not, however I think your MPEM is different than mine. Mine utilizes a single device for the MPEM and CDI, they are all integrated into one device.

I would guess the 96 uses two separate pieces, just like my 96 XP does

Ahh OK...... I would start by the cheaper option of maybe purchasing another used wiring loom of ebay as the problem could ly within the plugs or simply a wire not conducting ?
Start replacing the cheaper parts first is how I deal with my RXDI as some parts especially oem Seadoo are really expensive !
Good luck and let me know if u solve it

What beeper did you use? The mpem produces a very small and quick voltage burst that not all beepers will activate. I buy OEM ones directly from Floyd Bell, the original seadoo supplier.

As far as the VTS, 9 out of 10 times it is the module that is bad not the motor.

Not the op but wanted to share, I have used these as cheap replacements a few times and they work great. They're much smaller than the original so if you have stock bars they'll need ziptied into the location inside the foam. On my skis with aftermarket bars I wrap the wiring up neatly and zip tie the bundle to one of the hangers in the hull near the grey box.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NK8MGL9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back