97 spx 787 surges at full throttle

Status
Not open for further replies.

derek

hi. new here. we have a 97 spx. last year it sounded fine on land or at lo throttle. at full it ran great for 1-2 seconds and shut off for 1 second. pulsated at this rate the whole time. irritating. has anybody seen this? then it just died. this weekend i started messing with it again and now it seems to behave the same way while cranking the starter. same 2 second on 1 second off pulse. if anybody has any thoughts? thanks.

Pulse?...

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by your description. If your having problems with your carbs, check the filters, make sure you fuel lines aren't the grey ones, tighten all clamps, remove and check the fuel line filters. If needed, remove the carbs and check the inside filters of the carbs.
I"m throwing a little out there since I really don't understand your question. Also, make sure your not pulling vacuum on your tank. That will mean the vent line is clogged up.........

hi. it feels like someone is turning the ignition on and off at 1 to 2 second intervals at full throttle. will fuel flow give this symptom with no sputtering or breaking up at all? thanks. i will do the fuel system thing this weekend though. needs it anywho. derek. grey fuel lines. these are the largish ones from tank to carbs and back? whadda you replace them with? auto parts store stuff ok?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes derek take a sample to the auto parts store and tell them fuel lines. The gray lines cause the carbs to clog because the come apart on the inside. This is a common occurrence with the gray fuel lines. Replace all the gray lines, so measure and get enough, it isn't expensive. You can get just plain black fuel line. You might want to pull the carbs apart and clean the small filter out. Check the in line fuel filter too.

Karl

one more question on this symptom. could this be some sort of limp-home mode? still runs but tells u there is a problem? i found a plug partway out from engine to rectifier. it came all way out and pulsed like this on the starter. crank but no 2 beeps. plugged it in and got 2 beeps and motor sounds fine. on land of course. don't wanna test drive it yet. i have a thing about frozen hineys. my own of course. any thoughts anyone? thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back