97 sportster radio install simple question about mounting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarsjm

hello and thanks for welcoming us here...

gotta put a nice little sytem in our sportster, i have no problems with wiring and not afraid of cutting or drilling..BUT before i do, the question. 97 sportster--- i was looking and hoping, i could put one, totally waterproof of course, INTO the side of the steering console; but that would require a FLAT surface so it would be flush and fit well. option 2 is to install said radio INTO an external gimbal mount enclosure. is the side of my boats console flat enough to do a nice flush install or am i doomed the ugly external thing. or, if anyone has any other mounting location ideas that would allow for a flush, neat and cool installation, please let me know. already have a nice system from parts express on the line.... look forward to the replies!

There is another member who did a nice install on a similar boat. His thread would probably help you quite a bit. I saved you from searching for hours..lol

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?12916-speedster-sportster-challenger-14.5ft-boats-stereo

Somehow, I must have missed that post. The install looks professional, but I have to wonder if he thought about the amount of spray off the bow, always keeping it wet. I haven't installed one in a boat in many years, so maybe their idea of water resistant has come a long way. Because, back then, they still rusted out. I carry my boom box in my 97 Challenger, for one main reason. In years past, I did have a nice stereo (in a different boat). We were at the sand bar on the river and I was blasting some Led Zepplin. When I went to leave, my battery was dead. A guy tried to jump me (100hp Evinrude) and blew his powerpack.... LOL; those were the good ole days.

If I were to do it today, I think I'd look at my storage compartment. That compartment really isn't that big, but big enough for a stereo mount and place to keep your dry valuables. The all weather speakers could be mounted along the hull, like where he put his stereo in the thread pix. You could even look at the built in ice cooler up front, on the right side. I know I've never used mine for beer, it won't hold more than a six pack...LOL

The back of the boat, over the engine is where I store 75% of my stuff. Its large enough and fairly easy to get to. I'm sure there are many, many places to mount it. The one in the thread looks good, but I don't think I could put one in a forward mounted position.

With the marine cover, water wont be a problem. mine isnt rear forward facing, but it has taken serious water over the side of the boat from some crazy friends on skis. I wouldnt sweat it. A few others on here have installed it exactly like that and i havent heard anyone complain. Just make sure it is a marine radio with a good cover on the front.

Mines mounted under the dash in a Universal Underdash Enclosure. I've seen them on amazon, 15 bucks. Looks nice. It was installed when I bought the boat. I swapped the head unit. I have a deep cycle under the dash hood. It gets charged at home from a standard battery charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back