97 Seadoo XP won't start

Hi.

New to jetski world. I've looked at previous posts but I'm still struggling to get my XP to start.

It turns over ok. Tries to fire. But doesn't. Sometimes followed by a massive back fire.

The only time i have got it to run it spewed oil out from the exhaust joints so i stopped it running.

I seem to have a spark ok and plenty of compression.

I've tried fresh fuel and had the carbs off but I'm used to motorbike carbs with float chambers so i'm a bit lost with the diaphragms etc.

It seems there is a lot of oil on the pulgs (and in the cylinders? (almost as though oil is sat in the crank?))

Also possible issue with rotary valve but i'm guessing.

Thanks for any help.

No worries about the oil coming out the exhaust, seen it many times with my skis. If it started once, put new plugs in it and try again, that extra oil may be from the rotary valve cavity. Had it sat for long before you bought it? Myself I pre mix the first tank 50:1 besides the oil injection when I get a new carbed ski. Till I’m sure the oil injection is working. Did you buy it as water ready it was it a non running purchase? If you have compression and spark and it doesn’t run right, rebuild the carburetors with back to OEM from OSD marine. If the small oil lines haven’t been changed, change them.

Yeah I bought it as a non runner and it has sat for a long time.

I thought it would be fairly easy to get going but i'm struggling 🙄

Seems like a fueling issue but 🤷‍♂️

I've tried easy start too but no joy

Cheers 🍻

Yeah I bought it as a non runner and it has sat for a long time.

I thought it would be fairly easy to get going but i'm struggling 🙄

Seems like a fueling issue but 🤷‍♂️

I've tried easy start too but no joy

Cheers 🍻
What’s your compression? Have you tried mixed fuel in the plug holes?

Before you take compression reading, take the plugs out, ground the plug wires and crank the engine over to see if anything blows out the plug holes

Compression was something like 130/140 in both cylinders. Yeah tried fuel directly into the cylinders.

It seems to fire briefly then die. Then often a massive backfire 😳

Compression was something like 130/140 in both cylinders. Yeah tried fuel directly into the cylinders.

It seems to fire briefly then die. Then often a massive backfire 😳
I’m not 100 percent sure about the back firing but pretty sure I’ve read that the rotary valve being out of time can cause that, might be a good idea to order the timing wheel and check that, it’s only a couple of bucks. Normally if they have been sitting a few years, pretty much have to rebuild the carbs, change th e fuel selector valve, and change the o ring in the fuel filter/water seperator

I’m not 100 percent sure about the back firing but pretty sure I’ve read that the rotary valve being out of time can cause that, might be a good idea to order the timing wheel and check that, it’s only a couple of bucks. Normally if they have been sitting a few years, pretty much have to rebuild the carbs, change th e fuel selector valve, and change the o ring in the fuel filter/water seperator
I'll give it a go.

Quite keen to get it running but obvs dont want to throw loads at it.

I did wonder if it might have something to do with the timing of the rotary valve but i'm in the dark. What's the timing wheel? That sounds like a good place to start.

Cheers 🍻

I'll give it a go.

Quite keen to get it running but obvs dont want to throw loads at it.

I did wonder if it might have something to do with the timing of the rotary valve but i'm in the dark. What's the timing wheel? That sounds like a good place to start.

Cheers 🍻
The timing wheel is a little plastic circle tool available at OSD marine as well, Lots of videos on you tube as to how to do it, I haven’t myself yet but it looks very easy. Also grab yourself a free manual at seadoomanuals.net

I have been there.....Since it has been sitting for a while you need to go over everything with a fine tooth comb. This is assuming you have good compression. Here is what I would do:
replacing the inline gas filter,
Inspect gas selector switch/possibly replace (seals tend to dry out over time)
take gas tank out and clean it and clean the fuel baffle, check the filters there too
Clean out your oil tank (try not to mix different brands of oil, it doesn't go well)
Check your one way valves on gas tank and oil tank. (if you have them)
Check gas line hoses, if they are the gray tempo ones, replace
Check all wires for damage.
Clean all grounds
Check oil lines from oil pump to engine
Verify good battery
Rebuild carb(s) with OEM kit (follow rebuild thread on here), clean the return screen if you have one.
Remove/clean/inspect rave valves

If you have to replace anything try to go OEM, especially if it has a seal or electrical gadget. Clean as much as you can, as you go. Download the manuals for it, there is a maintenance and a parts manual. You should be able to find them free online. I used both to rebuild mine. Once you have verified all the above items are in good shape, then you can start figuring out what is going on with the engine not starting. (IMO)

Crikey 😳

That's a lot.

I was hoping there might be a simple fix.

Given that it's so close to starting I was hoping there was something 'obvious' that I'd missed.

Cheers for the info 🍻

Most wont cost you anything but time, IMO this is the bedrock of a good running machine and causes the most problems when in poor shape.

Yeah I'm sure you're right but I was hoping to get it to start before I throw too much time and money at it.

All those things are probably worth doing once I know she's not dead in the water 🤩

Cheers bud 🍻

Back