97 SeaDoo XP starting problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasball2

Hi All-

I recently purchased a 97 Seadoo XP, and have not been able to get it started. I purchased a brand new battery, but when I hit start, it makes three, slow, chugging noises, and then a continious beep. I have no idea what to do!! This is my first PWC, and I am at a loss. I'm bringing down to the lake next weekend and I dont want to get it on the water and have it not start. Any suggestions? The battery is fully charged. I would greatly apprieciate any help!

Welcome to the seadoo forum jasball2. I would clean the Dess(Digital Electronic Security System) Post and cap. The long beep means the ROM chip in the lanyard cap isn't communicating with the Mpem (Multi Purpose Electronic Module). Clean the post and cap with soapy water and leave it clean and dry. Don't use anything to coat the connections. I'm not sure what the chugging noises are as I haven't ever encountered that myself. How long has the XP been sitting? Was it winterized from last seasons use? It should have fresh gas, spark plugs and a clean fuel filter for starters to be ready for the season. Let us know how you make out, and if it still isn't firring up, give us a shout with some background so we can help you get it running.

Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been sitting for about 6 months, I believe the battery, although new, may need to be charged more due to the fact that I took the plugs out and attempted to start it, and it sounded like it was about to turn over, but then slowed to a stop, followed by the long beep. does this sound like it may be a low battery? Also, the plugs were very dirty and oily, so I believe new plus are probably definitely in order..does this sound right? I apprieciate the input..also, what is the proper gap for the spark plugs?

The correct plugs you should use are; NGK BR8es plugs gapped to .05-.06mm or (.20-.24in). I would charge up the battery and clean the fuel filter bowl, that is in line in the fuel line. To charge the battery remove it from the doo and charge it unattached to the wires. This will prevent any surge to the electrical system in the XP, that would cause more electrical problems.
Keep us posted.

Karl

Ok, I bought a trickle-charger and charged the battery for about 12 hours, and bought the spark plugs you recommended, changed them out, and...........it started right up! Thanks a bunch, now let's just hope it starts when I get it out on the water next week, thanks for your assistance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back