97 seadoo gtx flywheel grease fitting and drive shaft boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

rehgarde

Hello all!
I have a recent purchase of a 1997 SeaDoo GTX Bombardier. Had some leaking which I traced to the drive shaft boot.
I think I have 2 issues now:
1: the flywheel doesn't have a grease fitting. In the picture. you can see a whole which I assume had a tip on it?
If so, is there an easy repair for this whithout replacing the flywheel? How bad is it to run this without adding grease?
2: Everything I find indicates this is the old boot style. The driveshaft does have a groove for the C ring, so am I correct in assuming I can swap to the carbon ring and bellows setup?

Thanks for whatever thoughts you have on this!
Brandon
97 seadoo.jpg

You first need to replace the grease fitting on the pto and align the engine. Just from the picture I see it's out of alignment.

You first need to replace the grease fitting on the pto and align the engine. Just from the picture I see it's out of alignment.
Any idea what size that zerk fitting is? I did remove the broken piece, just don't want to buy a sizer.

You can try a 1/16" Grease fitting. I'm not too hip on the sizes when they get that small but I know it isn't 1/8" LOL. The pipe fittings on the jet skis are standard pipe sizes so this may well be the same. I can measure one for you but not tonight. LOL

I'd get rid of those hose type clamps on the rubber. At 6K RPM that is a lot of out of balance force even at that small radius. I use good ty-wraps for securing the rubber and I install them 180 degrees apart. I have a tool for tightening/installing ty-wraps and I highly recommend one of those.

I agree with 1of500, unless that seal cartridge is installed crooked I think it is a good idea to check the alignment. I haven't found many skis with the engines in alignment anyway. Misalgnment is the major cause for equipment failure and Seadoo engine set up especially.

I am also considering moving to the newer water seal on a 1998 GTX Limited. I plan to do a dry run by doing a pre-install on the pump to check everything. Good Luck !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back