'97 Seadoo GSX 787 Piston Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

leblancr

Hi, My son has a '97 Seadoo GSX 787 that he lost a rod bearing in. We've replaced the crank, bored the cylinders, camfered the ports, machined the power valves and re-installed everything, including new WSM Platinum pistons at .50mm over.

We really questioned the direction of the arrow on the piston. This engine has the intake and exhaust on the same side. Our Clymers manual said to point the arrow to the exhaust side of the motor, but then had a picture of the pistons with the arrow pointing away from the rotary valve. We installed the pistons like in the picture.

We got it all together and ran it for 1/2 hour in the shop and it was running great. We had added a quart of injector oil to a full tank of gas as the manual said for break in, and had used a lot of extra lube during reassembly, so it smoked a lot for the first 5 minutes or so, but straightened out and was running really well.

When we put it into the water and tried to give it throttle, it just quit. There was no compression in the front cylinder. When we removed the head, we saw that the top of the piston had failed and the ring was destroyed.

I've got all the pieces of ring out of it and the cylinder wasn't damaged and it's been honed again. A new piston is on its way. My question is, did I install the pistons in the wrong direction and have that cause the problem? Which direction should the arrows be pointing? Toward the intake/exhaust or away?

Thanks in advance.

Piston arrows point toward exhaust ports. Bills86e

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I guess that's what I get for trusting pictures instead of the written text. I'll put them in the right way when the new one shows up. It only took the top ring out and the material from the piston where the groove was. Is it likely that any of it made it into the base or would it all likely have gone out into the exhaust? There are a lot of pieces stuck in the top of piston, but I don't think there is enough to account for the entire ring. I know the ring can be picked up with a magnet, but the piston fragments are aluminum, right? Any recommendations for cleaning the base, if they could make it there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back