97 sea doo bombardier gtx starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterboy

My GTX needed a new starter so we took the old starter to "Sellers Starter and Alternator" here in Dallas. They told us that the old starter just fell apart and was trash so we bought a new one. The old one was an 8 tooth starter and the one they sold us is a 9 tooth. We of course were very confused but they assured us it would work and also told us that they don't even make the 8 tooth anymore so this was our only choice. we put the starter back in and of course it doesn't work...Is this something we did wrong or is it that its the wrong starter?? TIA

Whoa - number of gear teeth - that is one I don't know.:confused:

I have a question, does the starter crank and the solenoid pop out when you apply direct 12V from a battery? I mean check this on both the old and new starters. This would help eliminate or at least understand the starter's condition.

Also, cna you crank the engine by hand (using the grey flywheel at the rear of the engine)? If the engine does not turn, then even a good starter isn't going to appear to work.

More info please!

I'd first like to know if "Sellers, starters and Alternators" is an OEM distributer of SeaDoo parts? A quick answer to your problem is NO....you can't change gear ratio on one part of a mesh and not change the other (flywheel). That's any mechanical device that uses a drive gear and a idler gear. All gears are made to work by the distance between each tooth, that's where the term "gear ratio" comes to play:confused:......not to be quoted here, but the best way to describe the ratio is that for every time the flywheel makes one complete revolution, the starter makes 8, hence it being an eight tooth starter. As far as the starter falling apart in his hand and it was trash. There are only 2 long screws that hold the 3 part assembly together. The cap, armature and yolk assembly. This is a very simple mechanical device. I don't see how if could have just fallen apart...........not saying it can't. If were constantly subjected to salt water, then maybe so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back