'97 GTX Throttle cable issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingtb

There is one cable on the thumb throttle on the handle bar. On the carburetor end I see two cables, one that pulls the throttle plates open and another that pulls them closed. These two cables go up into the steering housing. How and where does the one cable from the throttle connect up with the two going to the carbs? I pushed the throttle in and it stays there. If I rotate the cam the cable hooks up to on the carb I can get it to return. But if I press the throttle again it stays in. I'm suspecting a return spring issue. But I can't figure out where that'd be.

there is one going to carbs and there is one going to oil pump . it uses the spring on the 2 throttles as return Springs. on the carb there should be a link on it to synchronize the carbs you probably need to look at a service manual . you can look at one on this forum with your computer

the throttle cable uses the spring on the carburetor throttle and the spring on the oil pump as return Springs. Everything must be synchronized perfectly

I found the problem. A hose clamp on the front carb was binding the back side of the throttle shaft. Moving that clamp freed it up. With that done I get proper throttle action. Now the unit won't start. It did just before I fixed the throttle issue. I did move the throttle back and forth quite a number of times trying to figure out the binding issue. I probably flooded it. I pulled the plugs and they were both quite wet. I blew them off with air and dried them up. Put them back in and still no go. What the proper way to clear a flooded engine? If that's what's wrong.

also a little wd 40 try to spray as best you can in the throttle cable it help make it real smooth

I did that last night before putting the plugs back in. The plugs were brand new. Could the flooding have caused another issue?

sometimes yea you can foul out a brand new plug easily on a 2 stroke . pull the plug dry them off with a paper towel try again

make sure there was no damage done from the hose clamp binding on your throttle cable check for leaks

For a flooded two stroke turn the fuel off and crank it over with the plugs in and throttle held wide open. Do this a couple times then turn the fuel back on and it should stumble back to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back