97 GTI mpem trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Knapp

I just purchased a 97 GTI that was in very good condition. It was not running at the time of purchase and the owner told me that he thought that the control module was bad. The module had already been removed and was in the front storage compartment. I found a 15 amp fuse blown, a 5 amp fuse that was the new smaller version and a 15 amp fuse in the 7.5 slot. I replaced all the fuses and reinstalled the module. Installed a freshly charged battery and placed the key on the probe. There were no beeps, it did not start I found the 5 amp fuse blown. When replacing the 5 amp fuse it blew again. I am waiting on a manual that I ordered on line so I am not sure what the fuses are for. Can I take the MPEM to the local dealer and have it tested to make sure that it is bad? I found one at demo.motorsportdealers.com for ~$380.00.

Thanks

Thanks for the info,

I went and looked at the e-bay site and read some of the post's about it. I want to take some advice that sea-doosnipe posted on waiting to make sure that the mpem does not have any other issues before trying that. I read a few of seadoosnipes posts and used the info to do some testing. I tested the starter (DESS) post and it was good. I tested the starter switch with an ohm meter and it tested good. A better description of my problem is that as soon as I hook up the cables to the battery the 5 amp fuse blows. Is this why I don't get a chirp when I put the key on the post? I tested the horn and it works to. Not sure what to test next?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hear what dealers do is install it in a working ski and that way they know for sure. most of us dont have that option. I hope you do. this may be the older ones I am thinking about. :hat:

5 amp fuse....

If your blowing your 5 amp fuse, send email to "All things custom". Robin knows of his post too, he rebuilds the problem in the mpems that keep blowing their 5 amp fuse..............AllThingsCustom@hotmail.com
He had a good, fair price. Wont' hurt to drop him email.....

Shipped it on Tuesday.

Well I e-mailed Mike at Allthings custom and he had me test for a short from the ground loop terminal to the power side of the 5 amp fuse slot on the mpem and I definitely had a short. I shipped it out to him on Tuesday afternoon and I should receive the repaired unit early next week. I will let you know if the GTI starts or not as soon as I can. Thanks for all the help!

Please do!

Please do let us know how this thing turns out. He seems to know what he's doing and with the cost of replacement, his repair is a bit more palatable...:cheers:

Good news / Bad news

I received the mpem back from allthingscustom today and installed it into the ski. I connected the cables back to the battery and checked the fuse. The fuse did not blow, yeh! :hurray:. I placed the key on the post and still no chirps, darn. :ack: I emailed Mike to see if he has any suggestions but will take any anyone else can give as well.
Thanks

O.k....it's a 1997 model, maybe the beeper is out......did you try and start it. The worse case scenerio is the post. My post went out last year and it wouldn't beep or nothing. I could be on the water, it would go dead. No beeps, no nothing. I'd keep putting the cap on and off several times, then, it would finally beep and I might get back home.
I replaced the post, I've not had that problem any longer.
There is a test in forum for your post. My kids are screamin,.......if you can't find it, re-post, I'll print the test again.......

Test

I tested the post and had an open circuit with the key off and a closed circuit with the key on. Tested the horn with a 9V battery and it works. Start switch had an open circuit with the button depressed and a closed circuit with it pressed. The battery only had 10.7 volts so it is on the trickle charger as we speak. I plan on having it tested in the morning. Should it still chirp even if the battery is lower than normal?

After emailing Mike, it seems that it is possible that the previous owner placed a larger fuse in the 5 amp slot. When I pulled the mpem out the 15 amp fuse was blown. If this is the case should I get a different chirp sequence? I read in another post that you could press the start button 5 times and get a chirp, then place the key on the post and should get at least a chirp indicating the mpem is bad. Does that test work for the 97 GTI?

If I end up having to order a new mpem, do I have to get the key reprogramed or will the new mpem download the program from the key?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles,

Sorry about the bad luck... Please let me know what you find. I am afraid it is like I said in the mail and the previous owner put that 15 amp fuse in there.

Most circuits in the MPEM are between 7.5 and 15 amps so the 15 amp fuse can cause damage to other circuits in the MPEM basically causing a meltdown.

Like I said I will make it right. either a refund or I have that other MPEM here.

Either way you will have to get the key programmed to whatever MPEM you end up with.

The MPEM stores any key that is programmed into it till it is erased. If your MPEM goes bad, your key can be programmed into any MPEM you decide to use.

Thanks

I see you went to bed early last night just like I did. LOL I had the battery checked and they said it was good but maybe a little week when a load was placed on it. I installed the battery and pressed the start button 5 times and got a beep. :) I then placed the key on the post and got nothing. :confused: Not sure what that means.
I went to the dealer to see if they could test the key but they said that they needed the ski on sight to check the program.:( They said that they can put their programer on the post and tell me if it is a problem with the mpem or start post. They will only charge me if they have to reprogram the key or the mpem. I know I am grasping at straws but I would hate to put anther mpem in it and have the same problem. I placed the key on a used sea-doo that they had on the lot and it beeped one time. I will get you the # off of my mpem and you can see if you have one. You already did your part by repairing the bad 5 amp circut so no need for you to take a loss. We can work out the details later if I need to get a new mpem. I will get back to you with more details.

Thanks again.

Advanced diagnostic.....

Charles, by pushing the start stop button 5 times, your putting it into diagnostic mode. You said it beeped. How many times.
I see you did two test to your post. There are 4. I'll go and look now, then come back and re-edit.
When I had this problem, my DESS lanyard was fine. It was the post. I'll be back to edit shortly..........

I'm still looking in the manual for the test of your year model on the post, but coming up empty handed. Some years of the manauls seem to have more info than other years. I'm going to post the test for a newer model ski below. If your post has the same number of wires with the same color, this test may be applicable to your Doo too. Please let me know your results and let me look around a bit more for info.
If you get a good deal for the dealer to test it for you, that's great. But if they too determine it's your post, they'll charge you for the post + a minimum 10% intereset on the sale, then about $90 bucks an hour for labor. This part is easy to trouble shoot and repair yourself. I'm really leaning on this post because of the same problem I had with mine.
The cap has a ROM chip in it as security to communicate with the MPEM but the post has a magnet in it for contact with that chip. Over the years, the magnets field of energy weakens.
Do this test and let me know what you come up with.........

Test 1: with the cap off, put the tester wires on the black wire and the black/yellow wire. The circuit should show "open" at 68*F.
Test 2: with the cap off, put the tester wires on the grey to the post terminal (the little metal button on top of the post). The circuit should show a reading close to 0.
Test 3: with the cap off, put the tester wires on the black wire to the post ring (the little metal ring around the post). The circuit should show a reading close to 0.
Test 4: with the key ON the post, put the tester wires on the black wire and the black/yellow wire. The circuit should show a reading close to 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Test results

OK, this is what happend.

Test 1. Black wire and B/Y wire, reading was OL

Test 2. W/Grey wire to post tab, Reading was 0

Test 3. Black wire to post ring, Reading was 0

Test 4. Cap on, Black wire to B/Y wire, Reading was 0

I performed the diagnostics test again because I realized that I missed a step before. Pressed the start button 5 times, placed cap on the post, pressed start button one more time and recieved two short beeps. My Clymer manual gives two possible problems that read as follows.

A) The MPEM cannot read the lanyard code or the magnet is defective. Check the condition of the lantard cap and replace if defective.

B) There are bad connections or shorted wires in the safety lanyard switch. Check the switch wiring harness.

How do you test the cap?

Charles,

I wish you were closer!!!! I have a stack of dess posts and other items here we could test.

I also have a ski I could test your MPEM in if I had it and the key.

:confused: if you are getting beeps from the MPEM it should be working.

when I have seen them fried from larger fuses they are DOA just no longer blowing the 5 amp fuse.

Yahoo

The funniest thing just happened. The contacts in the key looked very clean but I went ahead and ruffed them up a little with the end of one of the voltage meter leads. I went out to let my wife listen to the beeps from the diagnostic test to satisfy her curiosity and it chirped twice. :hurray: I pressed the start button and heard the solenoid vibrate but the engine did not turn over. Luckily I just purchased a new interstate battery this morning so I changed it out, pulled the plugs and sprayed some LPS2 in the cylinders, placed the key on again and hit the start button. Wow, it turned like a scalded dog. I put the plugs back in and pulled the choke and hit the button again and it fired off after about 35-45 seconds. :cheers:

I do believe that your repair for the 5 amp fuse did the trick and I can't thank you enough.

I will let you know how it does when I get a chance to put it in the water.

Thanks to all for the info and help.

PS, What should be the first thing I check out since this is a 1997 used ski. It is in very good shape and the wiring and engine look like they are in new condition. The only thing I see that could be a problem is a layer of sludge on the bottom of the compartment.

Post....!

Your post is bad......I feel pretty certain, the post is bad. If so, it will leave you stranded.
It is possible that your lanyard cap was a bit dirty, but you already sad you had put it on another ski and got the one single beep, which means that it's the wrong cap for that ski.
Last year, my post kept giving me the two beeps and then sometimes, nothing. Then, it left me stranded in the middle of the river.
Try putting the cap on and off the post several times and see that you get those two beeps each time. If you put the cap on just once and dont' get the beeps and the engine won't start, then you'll be sure.
I felt that either the cap or the post was going to be your problem but since you tested the cap on another ski, I felt more certain it was your post.
Have fun, but be cautious.................:cheers:

10-4

I will probably order a new post and go to the dealer and buy a new key and have it programed into the mpem. Why take the risk! It will give me a spare key just incase I need it in the future.

Thanks

All is great!

Put the ski in the water today and it ran like a champ.:hurray: I had a friend come along and he road the 93 Kawasaki that came with the Seadoo when I purchased them. We ran around for ~1hr and had a blast. I would say that we are off to a good start. The only problem that we had is that the steering cable on the Doo broke just as we arrived back at the boat ramp.:ack: Looks like an easy fix though!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back