97 GSX dies suddenly

Status
Not open for further replies.

gchadp

Have had trouble this season with it literally cutting off when riding. It doesn't bog down, lose power, anything like that. It starts and idles perfectly
and even runs great for a few rides but a couple times now when riding (sorry wasn't looking at RPMs) going in the 45-50 MPH range, it cuts off. Literally shuts off 'without warning'. Almost like I pulled the key or hit the start/stop button. That being said, I've read posts about it maybe being the DESS post. I will switch that out but trying to figure out what else it could be. I read to test the post by, with key NOT attached, hit the start button and if the display lights up, I'm good to go, not the post. Oh and the 2 beeps has worked intermittently for years and years and always started without fail so hard to use that indicator. Hmm...

I may have erred. I just read that, with the key NOT attached, hit the start and if the display lights up, it's your key or post. Either way, does this seem to need the most likely culprit? Just want to make sure before I dig in and do unnecessary things.

Thanks.
Trying to get a '93 XP running again. Ran great after rebuild then started dying the way you describe- like someone hit the kill switch. Worked sporadically after first quit, now won't start. The spark is intermittent. Checking the coil at the moment.

Thanks.
Trying to get a '93 XP running again. Ran great after rebuild then started dying the way you describe- like someone hit the kill switch. Worked sporadically after first quit, now won't start. The spark is intermittent. Checking the coil at the moment.
I don't believe a '93 has a DESS post....so the SS switch is most likely the problem.....I just had to replace mine on my '96, all of a sudden...I push the button (no key on yet and I get nothing.....the guages are supposed to light up (indicates the ski is awake).....attaching the key gives me the beep beep but pushing the SS button gave me NO crank.

A very careful check showed me that the red rubber on the switch itself had a small split in it and I wonder if water (rain) got in there and the switch eventually failed. Replaced the switch and red rubber button cover and good to go!

Yes, not a DESS system on this old girl.
SS switch? Not sure what that is either. Start Stop switch? It has separate switches.
I get a crank but no spark so the start switch must work. Could the stop switch be bad?
I've got a "97 GTS on hand. Thinking of using her coil to see if it makes a difference but not sure it's compatible. Looking on-line some coils show compatible with the '97 and the '93. Some don't. The original coil part number, 278000303, is non-existent.
Guess I'll check that stop switch and go from there.

Mine was the flywheel hitint the coil from worn driveshaft bearing.. eventually caught and tore out the coil.. replaced the coil and cleaned up the flywheel.. new bearings in the winter

Have had trouble this season with it literally cutting off when riding. It doesn't bog down, lose power, anything like that. It starts and idles perfectly
and even runs great for a few rides but a couple times now when riding (sorry wasn't looking at RPMs) going in the 45-50 MPH range, it cuts off. Literally shuts off 'without warning'. Almost like I pulled the key or hit the start/stop button. That being said, I've read posts about it maybe being the DESS post. I will switch that out but trying to figure out what else it could be. I read to test the post by, with key NOT attached, hit the start button and if the display lights up, I'm good to go, not the post. Oh and the 2 beeps has worked intermittently for years and years and always started without fail so hard to use that indicator. Hmm...
Hi, maybe try cleaning the post and plug with isopropyl. I did dunk my key plug in an ultrasonic cleaning tank as I had issues with one of my keys not making good contact so you may have the same issue. Takes 5 mins so worth a shot to rule it out. Another thing would be to check you have good ground maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back