97 and 98 GTX spare parts compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patron

Hi all, first post so be gentle!
Live in Costa Rica but due to high import taxes always on the look out for used skis in south FL area. I got a 97 GTX from an acquaintance 3 years ago and have been pretty lucky with it. I now need another work horse and have seen a good deal on a 98 GTX. Of the main parts that potentially need changing out what would be compatible with my 97 ski.
e.g. starter motor, crankshaft, filters, oil pump?
Also would these eventually work on a 98, 99 model?
I really want to stay with 2 strokes as I believe they are simpler and easier to work on.
Some context: we use the skis as safety craft in a watersports centre (fresh water) and for teaching kitesurfing. No racing or speeding around hence the workhorse comment.

Also for a work horse and in a country that parts are not easy to get I would stay away from any 951 powered ski so any GTX newer than 1997 I would stay away from. For towing I think your best bet would be what you have, a 1996-1997 GTX. The GTI is very reliable with the 720 engine but it might be a little under powered for towing because it only has 85 HP instead of the 787 at 110 HP.

Thanks for the replies so far. It was my understanding that the 98 GTX LTD was a 951 but the normal GTX was 787. Is this not the case? I actually shy away from towing big stuff it is more 2 up with a wind surf board as outrigger when doing rescues. The extra HP would come in handy when coming back through 4'-5' wind swell against 35-40 knots of wind!
We generally buy a bunch of the more used spare parts in the US and throw them in a suitcase on our way through the US from Europe each fall. Why the reticence to go with a 951? Are they that much more complicated?

In 1998 and newer you could get the GTX Limited = 951 engine, GTX RFI = 787 fuel injected, then later the GTX DI = 951 fuel injected. The fuel injected ones are ok but when they have a problem they ae much harder to diagnose and fix than simple carburetors.

The 951 is not a bad engine but they make a little more power than they can handle so if you neglect the maintenance in any way they have a very short engine life. They always need fresh fuel 100% synthetic seadoo approved oil and fogging oil after every ride.
They have a bad track record because most people ride them then let them sit then ride them hard again and they blow up with no maintenance.

The two most reliable engines seadoo made were the 720 and the 787 carburetor engines.

Miki, thanks this info is "gold". I have been able to locate 2 skis in S.Florida both GTX's, one 96 and one 97. Much difference between the years? Next question some GTX owners have taken the oil pump out or had it fail on them, others not. Is this something I should be aware of? The 97 I have has the pump removed and I just mix the gas (what is the right mixture of onz/Gallons or Liters), no issues. Are there ways of spotting that the pump has failed before the engine freezes?
Thanks in advance to anyone who answers.

1996 and 1997 GTX is the same and uses same parts.

The sea doo oil injection pumps are very reliable and almost never fail. The part that fails is the small clear oil lines that run from the pump back to the intake manifold. They get old hard and crack. IF you replace them they should be good for another 10-15 years. You will use a lot less oil than premix. Also on these you have to leave the big oil lines on and filled with oil that run under the engine as they supply oil to lube the rotary shaft gear that is inside the crankcase. If you do not keep oil in there it will strip the rotary shaft gear.

Also I am not sure what oil you are using for premix but it should only be a seadoo approved 100% synthetic 2-stroke oil or it will gum up the RAVE valves (black plastic caps with red center) on the engine.

Miki, that sounds good if by changing the oil lines regularly (each season?) I can prolong the life of the engine pump then it is a small price to pay. We are using Motul SD approved oil, expensive as sh*t down here, $90/gallon. what does it cost Stateside?

here it is about $40/gallon. and i bet you use at least 1.5 gallons of oil on a premix to every gallon of oil used on a oil injected. That is probably putting it lightly.

Every year on the oil lines is too much. To be super safe I would say every 5 years but figure most are 15-20 years old and have not failed yet.

I run the Seadoo full synthetic for about $40 per gallon.

good answers miki, agree with everything said.

I had forgotten there was the RFI model, the 787 rfi doesn't interchange well with the 787 carb either.

premix will burn more oil but eliminates a fault point, more of a real concern with other brands, not as much with seadoo, IMO change the lines and call it a day.

I'd stick with all 787's if you could, only for simplicity and reliability. Other than those two advantages the 951 really is better for open water, more midrange power and most hulls that came with the 951 were larger hulls and 3 seaters as well and they pushed those big hulls better.

Unfortunately the GTX 3 seater in a 787 is somewhat sluggish and far from nimble, but handles chop quite well as a cruiser. From a laymen perspective wouldn't be my first hull choice for rescue situations but it seems to me that 99% of the time its more than enough.

Not being in the states Its probably a good idea to continue to stockpile some parts when you can, sticking with the same exact engine and same hull will simplify your needs for backup stuff like cables, pumps, top ends, etc

I'm in South Florida as well (SW) and its a haven for older 2 stroke ski's, we literally trip over them down here, prices are very low by comparison. $400-900 with bad engines, $12-1700 running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys/(Gals?) thanks for all the input very very useful. Have pulled the trigger on 2, yes two 97 GTX's. will be getting new oil lines bought on line and brought down by a "mule". Last thing I am thinking of putting new batteries in them before they ship to CR. I see a huge price range but not sure why/what the difference is. Bigger engine needs bigger battery? One of the skis is mix. Is it worth ($$) to convert back to the oil pump given the increase in oil and just change the oil lines regularly. Is that a messy/difficult job? Also is 50:1 an acceptable oil/fuel ratio? Any one have xperience with sun covers from Poppy Company?
FYI the price of Motul Sea Doo recomended oil has now gone down to $75/Gal. Think yourselves lucky your gas is %30 cheaper too.

If it were mine I would convert it back to oil injection. The money you save on oil will pay for it and they are reliable. If the oil pumps were junk we would tell you.

For batteries all of the seadoos take the same battery so do not go "bigger". Some have had the AGM batteries last longer so they might be worth a try.

As far as the Poppy covers they are great. They appear to be a copy of the seadoo factory covers and the quality is great. I bought one for my 2001 XP and would buy another.

OIl Pump reconnection

Miki, is it normally the case that if an oil pump was disconnected as a precaution then you just need to reconnect the lines? If a ski has new motor, as is the case of one of the two I have purchased could it be that there is no oil pump or is there allays an oil pump waiting to be connected, yeah I really am ignorant?! But a willing learner

Spimothy, I now have the two '97 GTX's coming through customs. Thinking for the future what are the spare parts I should be looking to stock up on, knowing they will fit my '96 GTX as well. If anyone else wants to suggest a parts list I would be grateful

Hard to tell without knowing what kind of shape they are in and how critical is that they run, but:

Wear rings
Voltage regulator
Carburetor kits
Fuel level floats if they have not been replaced
Potentially a set of rave valves
Starter brushes
Starter solenoids
Spark Plugs
Fuses
A spare motor?
A spare pump?

OK took delivery out of customs yesterday. I wanted to check the oil level. being used to a '95 gts i expected a dipstick. Is the only way to check oil level through the ignition and electronic display? Is there a danger if the oil tank has too much oil in it?
Thanks in advance.

The electronic display only warns you if it is low. I pull the seat off and look at the oil level in the tank. Its easy to see. No, it cant be too full, as long as you do not have any leaks. It really should not be up the filler hose, only should be in the tank.

I now have 4 96/97 GTX's and am looking to buy in spare parts as they are interchangeable. For something like a starter motor, complete, what am I getting buying an OEM one over a way cheaper third party part? If I am looking at wear rings are there good 3rd party ones out there? Is the Oregon brand recomended for oil lines? I ask as I can get them locally (this is the weed wacker capital of the world). Does anyone have any You Tube links (where you can actualy see something) for re attaching/or reconecting the oil pump?
We are 4 hours drive from the nearest reliable mechanic so are going to have to school ourselves. Are there any recomended books/DVD,s that would help us on our journey?
Thanks .

I literally just brought home a gtx carbed two nights ago... its non titled so its definitely a part out.

i haven't even gotten around to assessing it at this point so I can't speak for what works/doesn't but I might be able to help out with some spares, pump/starter,etc...

re: starter, your better off rebuilding OEM with a kit.
re: wear rings, I like SBT's but OEM are quite reasonable as well, i'm out of stock on wear rings but I could certainly get some more.
re: self learning, honestly I think the forums/google are as good as anything, youtube is also helpful, and obviously shop manual in PDF.

Spim, thanks. I have a guy working for me who understand a lot of the basics but they love to cut corners down here and I am always nervous he will make something worse rather than better.How do I know what to replace on a starter motor, or is the kite replacing all electrical/moving parts within the original body?
If I wanted to order parts do you have a PM system on the forum or a web page?
I have found the forum to be super helpful. I am just a little wary of wearing out my welcome as it is all one way at the moment as I have little or nothing to contribute.
thanks.

don't worry about the contribution part, I asked a lot more question's than I answered when I was new to PWC's, we have all been there.

we do have a PM system here, and most of us that sell parts just use paypal, pretty simple, click & ship..

right click on a user name to send a PM.

note: if your looking for a large assortment of parts, then someone like Tonka is better than a guy like me, but I just happen to have a complete ski that's a match, sheer coincidence. But if your looking for a package, maybe a pump and a couple of starter's, wear rings, not a big problem, especially if you plan on rebuilding them for spares. I'll send you a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back