96xp start up backfire and broke exhaust exit... Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone$

Just as above I tried to start my 96 xp .. It has a primer not a choke so I primed it and tried to start multiple times. Nothing ....... Then I tried to start it and BOOOMMM.. I thought it was the battery but nope .. I didn't see anything till I saw light where the exhaust goes out the rear. It broke the plastic pice.

I'm stumped

COOL!! That's a new one on me.

Did you vent the bilge, by having the seat off first?

As far as the busted fitting.... PM Minnatonka4me. He sells used parts, and I'm sure he will have what you need.

I just saw another post recently where a guy cranked his Gtx and blew the exhaust all to hell and back. He was using the choke and had built up fuel that apparently all ignited at once.

We had a huge back fire that had our ears ringing. It sounded like we shot a rifle in a 6x6 room. We had a huge air leak and fuel kept building up in the lower end. It would start and shutter until we had the huge backfire. The jugs had old gasket material on them that caused our issue.

My buddies 96XP did this right before launching for a ride a couple weeks ago. It blew through the exhaust outlet hose right before the through hull fitting. Luckily I was able to trim a little off the hose and re-clamp it. Boy is that hose clamp a pain to access!

My buddies 96XP did this right before launching for a ride a couple weeks ago. It blew through the exhaust outlet hose right before the through hull fitting. Luckily I was able to trim a little off the hose and re-clamp it. Boy is that hose clamp a pain to access!

you got that right ! you need monkey arms :)

So this is just a fuel build up issue? I thought it might of been old fuel so I'm gonna try all new fuel and try to start again..

We had a huge back fire that had our ears ringing. It sounded like we shot a rifle in a 6x6 room. We had a huge air leak and fuel kept building up in the lower end. It would start and shutter until we had the huge backfire. The jugs had old gasket material on them that caused our issue.

I posted a thread about this same issue and have not begun to fix it yet. What are the "jugs" you mention?

What is the correct starting procedure? Should the seat always be removed prior to starting? I had mine off 30 minutes prior for 5 mins while replacing battery.

How could the use of the choke affect a backfire? I'm new to carbs, two-strokes and pwcs so alot to learn here.

What I've been told so far is to change over grey fuel lines to black and remove carb to clean. Trying to cover all bases so NO issues next time I put in!!!! THANKS for helping!

I posted a thread about this same issue and have not begun to fix it yet. What are the "jugs" you mention?

What is the correct starting procedure? Should the seat always be removed prior to starting? I had mine off 30 minutes prior for 5 mins while replacing battery.

How could the use of the choke affect a backfire? I'm new to carbs, two-strokes and pwcs so alot to learn here.

What I've been told so far is to change over grey fuel lines to black and remove carb to clean. Trying to cover all bases so NO issues next time I put in!!!! THANKS for helping!

Yeah, if a motor doesn't start right away then it can get flooded. Fuel + air in the exhaust at the right concentration can go BOOM! I've watched guys blow the head off a mercruiser while using ether starting fluid trying to get it going.

But here on seadooforum I'm told I'm shade tree and full of bullshit, so make sure to put me on ignore if you know what's good for you. Spray Away!

COOL!! That's a new one on me.

Did you vent the bilge, by having the seat off first?

As far as the busted fitting.... PM Minnatonka4me. He sells used parts, and I'm sure he will have what you need.

The merc sportjets are known for doing this on the trailer.

I'm prepared to be flamed for this post, go ahead and crucify me.

[MENTION=65307]Sportster-2001-951C-Stock[/MENTION],,,

I am familiar with some of the issues at hand right now, no details as I am certain you know what I am talking about. That said, you need to relax....

From what I can see you do have knowledge which is what the forum was created for. I get that you are not happy with some of the replies and various posts. Under normal circumstances I would handle this within a PM directly to use as I don't play the public humiliation game.

Presently, you are welcome to be a member here and express your thoughts and views on virtually any topic.

However, you need to treat others as you would want to be treated.

Bottom line is, play nice and all will be well. This is not a threat nor an attack. You brought it to the public forum and I am doing the same with the intention to end it here in the public forum.

If you wish to discuss this further then do so in a PM to myself.

We good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back