96xp loads up then stalls Low end, bogs, hard starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

crxski

So at the cottage working on a friends 96xp

First test run - I started it up, started fine, let it warm up for about 30s tried to get on plane, bogging and when I gave it lots of throttle it had lots of cavitation, just revving. So took it slow and got on plane. Ran ok top end no hesitation, didn't feel that fast top end but not worried about that right now.

Second test run - tried to start it, wouldn't start, starts then dies, motor still hot but was sitting for 10mins, had to pin the throttle to start it, took off fine after I did that. Ran fine 1/2 throttle+ so its all in the low end.

I've read about the second issue before but I can't figure out where... anyways some advice on what to check would be great. I'm going to be checking pop off pressure in my fancy new gauge I made and I'll check the fuel pump for pressure 4psi for ten second. Also re check carb settings, I cleaned them last year for her.

I have a feeling its the needle and seat, almost like its leaking fuel into the carb and loading it up before it is started, well if it was a VM carb thats what I would suspect.

I have 2-3 days to get it running tiptop before I head home any help ASAP would be appreciated, I'll post up my findings.

Ok so fuel pump diaphragm checks out good, pop off on each carb was at 32-34psi which is in the middle.

What else can I test? I'm all up for replacing stuff but I have to boat 10mins to the car then drive 25mins to the deal, and I'm sure they don't have it in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back