96 xp wont start-electrical problem? key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoorider9999

Ski ran fine before, but.... now when I go to start, put the key on, get gauges to light up, and trim will move up and down, but no start. I don't get any crank at all from the starter. The beeper that recognises the key has never worked, so I don't know if Im getting one or 2 beeps.

-All fuses OK
-Start button has 2 wires, I tested them, one gets power, and the other is a ground. When pressed, the power goes off (seems weird but I guess thats how the mpem reads it, although if this is the problem let me know!) So start button is OK
-The rear electrical box has good ground, and has power coming in from the battery, that is hot, then a 4 gauge wire going to the starter that is located next to the hot wire coming in. But even when key is on, the wire going to the starter gets no power when start button is pressed.
Seems to me the mpem is not recognising the key, and therefore wont give the starter juice, but would it still let the trim move and gauges come on when the start button is pushed??

Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum........

I think to better get an idea of whats going on, you need to know what kinda beeps your getting. If your buzzer doesn't work, you can, for the test, use just about anything.
Take a bulb out of a flashlight and attach two wires to it, pull the plug on your buzzer and make a temporary attachment with the light bulb. Put the cap on and see how many times the light blinks and whether they are short or long blinks.........any light or noise maker that you can adapt to a 12 volt system will work.
Give it a try and let us know what you get.
I don't think the VTS, etc....go through the mpem for operation. So if it's bad, these components will still work. I haven't gone into the manual to positively confirm that, but I have parts on my 97 that will work with the mpem removed. So I think the same is true for yours too.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back