96 xp hard to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyjoe09

I have a 96 xp, and always have some trouble firing her up. Always need a shot of starting fluid, and sometimes that even doesnt do the trick. Seems like when it is in the water, it is even worse. If i get it going and warmed up, it will start back up if left off for a few minutes, but anymore than 5 minutes or so its almost like its right back to not firing up again. Seems like its not getting any/enough gas. Adjustments on the carb? Starter issue? I am going to replace the fuel filter today (of course I know it wont be that easy... its not expensive or time consuming, and you know how it is with these things :) ) , but anything else I should check?? Its got a brand new battery and cables, so the starter should be getting enough juice.

Hard startin!

Hello Hockeyjoe.........It's kinda hard to say exactly what could be wrong but I know one thing you need to avoid, the use of starting fluids. If you must spray a combustible liquid in the carbs, then I agree with KustomKarl, spray WD-40. Starting fluid has no lubricants in it.
Since the engine runs well when you finally get it started, I agree with you that the problem is going to be fuel related.
With the 787cc engine carbs, you could have a couple things to look at. Is the fuel return line blocked? Is the vent line in the fuel tank blocked? Are all the fuel lines tight, not sucking air? These are a few outside questions you can look into.
The other problems that can cause this is faulty check valves. Inside the carbs, there are 3 check valves. Two on the fuel line diaphragm plate and one on the other side at the jets. If you have a failure of one of these check valves, then you'll lose your fuel flow. Although I don't think this is a fuel filter problem, this would also be a good time to check the internal filter.
In the manual, it states that you have the Mikuni BN-40i without the accelerator pump. If for some reason you do, you'll need to check that it's working too.
I hope this gives you a few things to work with. Let us know what you find out.

I totally agree with seadoo snipe...and starting fluid will seize up yourdoo real fast. Use wd-40 for starting if needed, and spray directly into the plug holes. only count quickly to 3, for each hole that's plenty. Check out what seadoo snipe explained and get back to us.
Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back