96 XP blowing 7.5 amp fuse and no power

1099ezg

So to start, a few weeks ago i was out on the water sending her pretty hard for around a hour when the jetski randomly died. no power no clicks, and i had to get it towed back. After some diagnosis i found the 7.5 amp to be burnt in the rear electrical box. no biggie, popped w new one in and it ran like new again.

Now this week something much worse has happened with this. The same thing happened as above, but now i am not able to put a 7.5 amp in at all. they just blow right away. Checked for water in that electrical box as well as the vts box. i have a aftermarket vts module that doesn’t work either but i have ordered a new vts motor to ensure it’s the module.

Second, if i keep the vts electrical plug unplugged to the rear electrical box, the fuse does not blow but the jetski does not turn on. i am a little confused why a 7.5 amp for vts would cause the engine to not start. i can confirm it is this as the first time a fuse just made it work again, but not this time.

I ordered a rectifier and vts motor which will be coming in tomorrow. anything else i should look at?

I also forgot to mention that instead of just dieing like the first time when i was able to put a new fuse in, but before this happened, it was riding VERY ROUGH. Could not accelerate over idle or it would stall. I was doing some quick sharp turns with throttle down right before this happened. I was a little worried about hydrolockijg but i can’t turn on the engine with the plugs out without having the starter turn :/.

No water was in the hull as well. So what’s the next thing to check? Stator? Any workaround for vts fuse to allow it to turn on?

Found out my ground wire corroded off of the starter. no more fuse blowing and started, but still one issue arises is that it stalls frequently above half power and after a hour or so of riding it starts to really struggle even idling

That’s what happened to mine aswell my ground came lose again and caused it aswell I would check the ground again
Found out my ground wire corroded off of the starter. no more fuse blowing and started, but still one issue arises is that it stalls frequently above half power and after a hour or so of riding it starts to really struggle even idling

Back