96 Speedster Ignition Coil, Port Engine Loading Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hefty14

So I decided to take on a 96 Speedster as a project boat, I'm nearly complete, but ran into an issue. Starboard engine runs excellent, however, Port engine loads up on idle and takes a second to burn out fuel when the throttle is moved forward. Here's what I have accomplished in the boat so far:

New trailer paint, carpet, hardware, tires/wheels
Both engines rebuilt
Both carbs rebuilt
Custom decals
Custom seat covers
New wear rings and jet drives
Custom radio/speakers

All gauges work except the tachs and I have no idea where to find aftermarkets that fit well or if the stock ones are salvageable. I put a meter on plug wires to read rpms and the front plug is turning 3000 out of water, the issue is the rear plug jumps all over the place between 1500 and 3000. Leads me to believe that's why the port engine is loading up since the rear plug is only firing about half the time. Compression is 135 on all cylinders so I'm thinking the coil is going bad. Oem calls for 204470005 which is what is on the boat now. my starboard coil is 278000586. Will either part number for a coil work on port engine? Also, any advice on what else may be causing the issue?

Sounds like an ignition issue. Since the tach isn't working... and you have a jumpy meter... I would pull the flywheel cover, and check the MAG coil. You may find a loose wire, chaffed coils, or a bunch of metal filings stuck to the magnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back