96 SeaDoo XP On/Off Switch Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peyton_N14

I have a 96 XP that will start up and run just fine when the on switch is pressed but when I try to shut the engine off, the button does not work and I have to pull the lanyard off.

There are only 2 wires going to your on/off switch. From the schematic they go to a connector and then to the electrical box to connect to ground and the MPEM. The Black wire is ground and the Yellow/Red get shorted to the Black by the switch. It sound from your description like the vibration when its running is causing a connection problem in the wires or the switch. Check that all the wire connections are tight and clean visually and you could also verify connections and switch operation with an ohm meter. You can disconnect the connector for the start/stop switch when it is running and short the 2 connections that go to the electrical box briefly with a wire to see it it shuts down. This will help you isolate if the problem is with the switch to connector or the connector to the box.

I've often wondered how that system worked but never perused it. The switch on the handlebar just activates another switch which I guess is in the MPEM. Otherwise you'd have to hold the handlebar button till the engine quit running. Always seems odd that you push the button to start the engine, then push the same button to stop the engine. Has to be some kind of computer logic. If this --> Then do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back