96 seadoo XP 800 won't go past 6 mph full throttle

ruddigger

Newbie here but huge fans of you folks

96 seadoo XP 800 first time out this summer and full throttle won't go past 5 mph and pretty smoky from exhaust. I tried slowly throttling up and see if I can get past the bog but no dice. Idles fine and out of water re

Here's what I've done over the winter

Replaced all fuel lines
Replaced selector switch
New starter
New stator
New rectifier
Cleaned and serviced rave valves
New battery
Rebuilt carbs with minkuto (whatever the legit name brand is)
Pop off test 30psi.
Compression test 145-150 each cylinder
Spark good with new plugs
New VTS system

I'm pretty sure the last thing I haven't checked is maybe the carbs aren't sealed or setup properly but I'm no expert thats where you guys come in. Any help would be great.

IMO, if any of the new parts aren't OEM, then treat them as suspect, aftermarket parts are not reliable, especially electronic parts and anything with a seal!
First off did you set the pop off and high/low speed adjusters to factory? What is your idle in the water?
Off of what you said I would first, verify good flow of gas. Take a container of gas/oil mix and run a hose directly to the carbs, skipping all the filters/valves. See if the ski runs better.
Also, if it will rev up. Put a volt meter on the battery and see what voltage you have at idle. It should be in the 12V range, now rev(4k ish) up the motor and the voltage should climb on the 13v range, maybe low 14v range. Anything above about 14.5V(ish) is too much, anything in the 12v range when revving may indicate a rectifier problem.

IMO, if any of the new parts aren't OEM, then treat them as suspect, aftermarket parts are not reliable, especially electronic parts and anything with a seal!
First off did you set the pop off and high/low speed adjusters to factory? What is your idle in the water?
Off of what you said I would first, verify good flow of gas. Take a container of gas/oil mix and run a hose directly to the carbs, skipping all the filters/valves. See if the ski runs better.
Also, if it will rev up. Put a volt meter on the battery and see what voltage you have at idle. It should be in the 12V range, now rev(4k ish) up the motor and the voltage should climb on the 13v range, maybe low 14v range. Anything above about 14.5V(ish) is too much, anything in the 12v range when revving may indicate a rectifier problem.
I got all parts from Minnetonka Nick and what ever I can get used oem he sent me. Rectifier was amazon . Idles in and out of water fine and seems to rev up okay out of water but when in water doesn't rev to hi and goes 5-6 mph tops. I set pop off to factory and hi low to settings I found online which I assume correct as I believe it was off this site . I was thinking of taking the carb out and seeing if I have an air leak or something as I heard that can happen but otherwise I will also check voltage . Not sure how to connect fuel line to carb in water as it works okay out of it

I got all parts from Minnetonka Nick and what ever I can get used oem he sent me. Rectifier was amazon . Idles in and out of water fine and seems to rev up okay out of water but when in water doesn't rev to hi and goes 5-6 mph tops. I set pop off to factory and hi low to settings I found online which I assume correct as I believe it was off this site . I was thinking of taking the carb out and seeing if I have an air leak or something as I heard that can happen but otherwise I will also check voltage . Not sure how to connect fuel line to carb in water as it works okay out of it

That rectifier that you bought on amazon would be my first go to, check your voltage at the battery out of the water at 4500 rpm. Should be right around 13.5 volts roughly. I know you said you set the carb to factory settings but what did you set it to?

That rectifier that you bought on amazon would be my first go to, check your voltage at the battery out of the water at 4500 rpm. Should be right around 13.5 volts roughly. I know you said you set the carb to factory settings but what did you set it to?

Well, everything looks good so far. Has the ski worked in the past for you or is this a new ski for you with no back history?
For the smoke maybe check the cable to the oil mechanism, maybe it is not attached/broke and the system is wide open, that would cause extra smoking.
What was your pop off on carbs? it should be between 23-43.. 38 being average
Also peak under the ski and verify there is a wear ring and the blades look good, if you want to measure the gap, check your book on measurement, I think it is about 1 mm. Have you looked at the the drive train while revving. Does your model have a carbon seal or carrier bearing?

Worked great last season except starter issues so I rebuilt the starter and rebuilt carbs and did all the fuel lines because I was already taking things apart. I'm thinking I screwed up to he carb settings taking it out today and see if I can play with adjustments. It was my first mikuni carb rebuild and I'm pretty sure I didn't seat the hi and lo all the way in as I was worried about overnighting

That sounds like a good place to start. Follow the rebuild thread on here. Let us know how it goes

Update : took carbs apart, cleaned blew out the lines and put back together. Pop off test was 30 psi (3x times in a row ) and adjusted hi and low speed to spec. Thing moves like a scared rabbit. Looks like a f'upd the rebuild or settings or maybe cleaned out some debris but thanks for everyones help . Cheers

Back