96 Seadoo gti help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seadoo35

First off would like to state I have used this forum several times over the years on numerous jet skis great information! But this has me stumped. When I start the ski it keeps cranking and after it is started you can hear the starter still engaged also. To stop the cranking I pull the DESS key and to get the starter to quit I have to unplug the solenoid. I have replaced the battery, solenoid, checked wiring, fuses. Is there anything im missing? This thing is driving me nuts.

So basically when it's started and running it's cranking still and starter won't disengage.

Last edited:
Fixed the cranking issue the wires under handle bars were barely connected but still having starter issue it's still spinning after starting any ideas?

Could be that your bendix is not disengaging. You can rule out that the solenoid isn't feeding the starter by testing for voltage on the post that's attached to the starter. Should read 0V after you release the button. You can test this even with the starter wire disconnected. If it is your benix, you can try to just lubricate the shaft that it slides on, or even get a new bendix. The gear on it should spin one way, but not the other inside that little bendix hub. They're kind of a pain to replace, but not too bad. And they're pretty cheap, I had good luck with the ones on ebay.

Could be that your bendix is not disengaging. You can rule out that the solenoid isn't feeding the starter by testing for voltage on the post that's attached to the starter. Should read 0V after you release the button. You can test this even with the starter wire disconnected. If it is your benix, you can try to just lubricate the shaft that it slides on, or even get a new bendix. The gear on it should spin one way, but not the other inside that little bendix hub. They're kind of a pain to replace, but not too bad. And they're pretty cheap, I had good luck with the ones on ebay.
Thanks for the reply! I pulled starter tonight. Been tossing ideas on what it could be this and that then I Hooked it to a ground and hot from the electrical box and wouldn't do anything, until I hit the button when I hit the button I heard the solenoid click one time then when I touched it with the ground it would spin on it own without me pushing the button. Once that solenoid clicked one time it was putting out power no matter what. So I tried a different starter I had laying around just to rule it out same thing. So I noticed the solenoid in it was getting super hot( brand new put in this evening) so I swapped it with an old one I had laying around and when I hit the button you could hear the solenoid disengage not just one click like on the other solenoid. So I hooked it to the starter and sure enough when I hit the button it spun and when I let off it quit unlike the other one. So I guess lesson learned never trust eBay parts! Just glad to have it fixed this things been a nightmare to trace down.

This is another time to use OEM parts 99.9% of these Chinese parts that are showing up either don't work completely or not for very long.

In my opinion the OEM parts are a no brainer considering they are only a couple dollars more but will last another 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back