96 GTX over revs at start

Status
Not open for further replies.

sblack56

Just bought a 96 GTX. The previous owner said it was bogging down on the water so he replaced the gas lines. I picked it up just after the gas line replacement and now when started the engine revs very high and have to pull lanyard to stop. Carbs were removed to replace lines but nothing was done to carbs. Suggestions?

You've got an air leak, check the carb. base gaskets, check the lines, and make sure they are connected properly. Also check the "O" ring at the filter/water separator, fuel selector valve. As Jake said check out the above thread for more details.

Lou

Thanks for the fast response. Great forum!! Checked out my GTX and found a mess, choke cable broken, throttle cable stretch beyond use, hardward finger tight only. Got new cables on the way and got rebuild kits for carbs. Going to pull them off this week to do my first rebuild and properly put everything back (I hope!) Any words from the wise as I proceed? Are there tricks to adjusting carbs at re-install?

Got my GTX runing

Got the carbs rebuilt and new choke and throttle cables installed. Thanks to the great info in this forum I was able to get the system primed with fuel and got it started. Off to the lake this weekend to see how it runs. Really appreciate the information and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back