96 GTX no beep but will start? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbone87

Hello,
I have a 96 gtx and everything runs great. My issue is when I put the lanyard on the post I do not get two beeps but the seadoo will start and run. If I try the self diagnostic mode by hitting the start button 5 times most of the time it won't enter the diagnostic mode. The other percentage of the time I do get it to enter the mode I get two short beeps which in the manuals states the mpem doesn't recognize or can make a good contact with dess lanyard. I hope its just an issue in the lanyard or the post but the fact that it starts with no beeps and won't always enter the diagnostic mode worries me that it is the mpem.

any help or insight would be much appreciated as I do not know where to go next.

thanks

hey dr honda I could understand if the beeper was dead never getting any beeps but i get them intermittently so do you think the beeper is acting up intermittently? I pulled the plugs and checked the wiring from the post and start stop switch to the mpem. the plugs look like they might have some green corrosion inside them and my next step is going to be to clean that up and apply some electric grease. The next issue is the fact that when I do get into the diagnostic mode and apply the lanyard and hit the start button again i get two short beeps signifying that "the mpem is not recognizing the dess code or the magnet is defective"...but it starts?

let me also add the fact that sometimes i do get the normal two beeps needed to signify that the mpem has recognized the lanyard and everything is good and sometimes I don't yet it always starts

I have the same ski and the same problem. Last Oct. my friendly mechanic found a little corrosion on the wire from the beeper and cleaned it. It lasted until this month. I just go with the flow, it starts almost every time whether it beeps or not.

But when I shut it off on the lake to change tubers without removing the dess it still starts up every time. What could be the problem?

^what he said.

I have two 96's that do the same thing, Sometimes they beep, Sometimes they don't but they always start so I don't worry about it.

But when I shut it off on the lake to change tubers without removing the dess it still starts up every time. What could be the problem?[/QUOTE]

So even though I shut off the engine and DO NOT remove the dess, I can still start it. The beeper works sometimes when I remove the dess.
Just trying to clarify this, as I'm a newbie.

:banghead:

There's nothing to understand. The buzzer is exposed to water. It's 15 years old. IT'S DEAD. This is a known issue. Fix it before you roast your engine because you are running hot on the lake. (it's your over temp warning too)

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, another alternative, Lift your hood and undo the big black plastic cover on the underside to expose the wires and plugs.
There should be 3 plugs connected under that plastic cover attached to the hood make sure there is no corrosion anywhere and they are all plugged in nice and firmly to where they click.....Mine ran fine, never beeped I didn't even know about it, till I changed a mirror yesterday and saw to connectors not connected...if thats not it, check post #2 =P

It's usually inside the handlebar cover. What year and model ski do you have? It's Radio Shack part no. 273-068.

This is why we ask to put the watercraft in your profile.

Lou

Taking out to get a look wont' help. They normally look fine. AND... sometimes, they come back to life if you give it a whack with the handle of a screw driver. BUT... it will be a short life. Just replace it.

FYI guys.... the Radio Shack buzzer's price was dropped. It's only $6.99 now. I just replaced the buzzer in the Islandia. (it actually has 2 buzzers. One for the Merc system, and one for the Seadoo system)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back