96 GTX lost fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codyth92

I have a 96 GTX 787 and it quit while driving. 2 beeps when you put tether on like normal and whirls over great but doesn’t seem to have any fire. What do you guys think? where should I start with testing

Could be a few things... but if it gave up while running well... then I'm going to say the CDI failed. BUT... it could be simple like a wire getting broken, or cut. But that normally shows up as a intermittent sputter as it's breaking.

BUT... if the ECU wasn't talking to the CDI... it would give an error beep. (4 beeps)

I would start with checking the wires, and popping the MAG cover off. You may find the trigger coil broke loose, or is covered in metal filings.

Could be a few things... but if it gave up while running well... then I'm going to say the CDI failed. BUT... it could be simple like a wire getting broken, or cut. But that normally shows up as a intermittent sputter as it's breaking.

BUT... if the ECU wasn't talking to the CDI... it would give an error beep. (4 beeps)

I would start with checking the wires, and popping the MAG cover off. You may find the trigger coil broke loose, or is covered in metal filings.
Yeah I’ve been doing some digging and where it’s doing the normal 2 beeps the ecu and cdi are talking to each other like normal and it’s usually the trigger coil is the issue, I’m gonna start and see if I get a pulse from the white wire coming out of there and see what happens and I’ll get back to you

Yeah I’ve been doing some digging and where it’s doing the normal 2 beeps the ecu and cdi are talking to each other like normal and it’s usually the trigger

well messed with the ground wires near coil cleaned them up and it fired right up but quits about 20 minutes into driving it so something’s heating up it seems and shuts off

That would point my finger at the CDI. BUT... if the pick up is loose... it may work, and bounce out of place. Don't try to test it. Just remove the MAG cover and give it a visual inspection.

Know anyone that’s used at arieltek MPEM? Can’t get a new one from the dealer, they are obsolete now. Can get a used mpem but it’s a gamble for sure

Do not buy an aftermarket MPEM, as they are all crap. Contact Nick or Jess at Westside Powersports. They sell tested and guaranteed used OEM parts and are the best bet. @Minnetonka4me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back