96 GTI Carb removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowman38

First of all, a big thank you to all who make this forum so wonderful! Thanks to your hard work I know what do with my carbs once I get them out.

But how do I go about removing them? Based on my research here I know that there are 4 bolts and that they use a 6mm allen to remove them. But are they on top of the carb and go all the way through to the mount, or on the bottom recessed in the Holes? Do I have to remove the RV cover to get them out? And How does the Airbox and flame arrestor fasten to the carbs? I'd love a step by step on getting them out, but any advice will be greatly appreciated!

This is my first attempt at fixing the bogging issue in my 96 GTI. I have 25 feet of .25" fuel line, 30 #4 clamps, a new float kit in my hand ready to go.... Now all I have to do is clean the carbs while I'm at it.

Again a big thank you to those who created the carb rebuild sticky! and, happy Fathers Day:cool:

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the forum.

You need to remove the air box, flame arrestor, carb. bracket, mag. side carb. linkage, and fuel lines. You can remove both carbs. together. There are four bolts that bolt the carbs. to the engine, allen head, 6mm (I think). There a little tough to get to, you might need an inspection mirror. As I recall I used allen sockets, and maybe a universal.

You also could spray liquid wrench or PB blaster to help loosen the bolts.

My carbs. were in really good shape, all I had to do was clean the filters, don't use carb. cleaner you'll melt the mesh. soak them in super clean or something similar. Also when you re-attach the carbs. us a new gasket, you can make your own.

You should download a service manual you can get them from this forum if you join as a premium member or you can probably find one on google.

Hope all goes well. See you on the Lake soon.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it done today, replaced all of the evil gray lines, and cleaned the carb filters. Also installed a new float while i was in there. Now I hope it starts!

If your gaskets are O.K. reuse them. If you need to make new gaskets, use the old gaskets as a template, you can get the gasket material at an auto parts store. Make sure there are not air leaks in the gasket area.

Lou

Ok. My gaskets dont have any tears in them at all but they seem real dirty. Ill probably just make new ones, I mean the carbs are already off and all! Ill go see what kind of material I can find in my small town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back