951 rebuild

Kaotic

Hey all, new to the forum and been reading quite a bit. I recently as in yesterday acquired a 2000 RX with a carbed 951. The meter says it has 249 hours on it. It has 60psi compression on the front and 0 on the rear cylinder. I pulled the race valves to look and the back piston is chewed up and missing pieces. I’ve read on here that a crank should be done at 200 hours on these and I’m ok with that. Since it appears that it’s heading for a full rebuild where would you recommend getting parts. All I have really been able to pull up is SBT. Or would you guys just drop a new engine in it. I bought the ski and trailer for $400.00 so I have a little cash to go either way. Also I started to pull the engine but can’t seem to get it to disconnect from the jet pump. Any recommendations on doing this? Thanks for any help and since this is my first ski and rebuild I’m sure I will have several questions.

I have nothing good to say about SBT.
If you want good quality at a reasonable price go with WSM parts from PWC Muscle, they are also a site sponsor.
Highest quality would be Competitive Crankshafts rebuilt crank and OEM parts.
You are also going to have to buy new reeds and rebuild the carbs with new, Genuine Mikuni parts.
Only use API-TC full synthetic oil.

As said above, pump and driveshaft have to come out before the engine.

my di blew the rear piston 13 years ago. The rear went like yours I pulled the jugs had them rehoned bought the corresponding piston ring kit from sbt made sure crankcase was clean. The crank seemed fine on hand rotation. Ski has been fine for 13 years. I only use Seadoo di oil and 91 octane

Back