951 DI motor swap. Where should I start troubleshooting shooting the ski so I don’t cook this motor too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nski03

Just picked up a used rxdi and smoked the motor already. Found a local guy who comes highly recommended. He will basically do a swap out for my old motor and give me a 2yr warranty.
what are the things I should be checking so I don’t put this one in and destroy it?
I assume the ski had bad gas in it and the fuel filter was starting to clog but I would likemore solid evidence of what caused myissue in the first place.
Also looking for your opinions. I really like the ski and don’t see myself spending the money on a new one anytime soon. With that being said, how stupid is it to put another 1,500 into a 17yr old machine? Once the new motor is in, I plan on riding it for a season and then it will become my wife’s ski when I get something a little quicker. She will definitely not be riding hard or jumping the thing. Is there any other components that are prone to failure and are expensive, or should we go ok?

Send injectors off and get them cleaned. All 4 of them. Fuel and air.
Pull fuel pump and give it a good cleaning. Replace all three filters.
Drain the oil tank and clean. Seal the seam if needed to prevent leaking. Use only XPS synthetic or Amsoil interceptor oil. Never mix oils
Replace oil filter and bleed system.
Clean gas tank while fuel pump is out.
With jet pump out change pump oil and check bearings. Replace wear ring.
Replace carbon seal and bellows.
If it has an aftermarket rectifier, replace with OEM.
All I can think of right now.

Awesome. If I go through the full fuel system and have a fresh motor is it fair to think I will have a reliable ski? Does it make sends you abandoned the oil injection and do a premix like I’ve heard others do or is that not smart with a DI?
I know if I want reliability I should just buy a new machine but that just is t in the cards.
it also seems like good running skis are going for well over book currently “not sure ifthat is the norm” which makes me feel better. Between the 2k for the ski and trailer and 1,200 for the motor I’m pushing past what it’s actually worth but still seems like the best option for the money.....or am I way off?

I would make everything fresh and new including all hoses and you will have a good reliable ski for years provided you perform regular maintenance.
A lot of folks here hate on DI skis. Understandable as they can be problematic, but what most people don’t realize is most of these skis didn’t have any problems for the first 10 to 15 years. As they got older they started having problems as with most skis. So if you were to rebuild you should have a great reliable ski for years.
I own 4 of these and rebuilt every one of them top to bottom. I have owned two of them for 5 plus years now with zero problems after going through them. (Knock on wood)
With the cost of new ones coupled with the skyrocketing cost of used, I think you are wise to invest a little into this ski.

Last edited:
Awesome. I was getting worried I made a mistake.
have used prices been rising or is this something new due to Covid-19 and everyone’s vacation plans getting canned? Or have they been rising for awhile. I don’t plan on selling the ski once it’s fixed but I’d like to think I can get my money back if I ever needed to sell.

Not sure what is up but this year is the highest hey have been. Probably just more family time.

I was just up in northern Wisconsin last month and all the dealers said the same thing: They've sold more of *everything* this year than ever, and if you're not making money this year, you're doing something wrong.

They were sold out of nearly everything, including lifejackets, oil, etc. There was a sales rep in one store encouraging the owner to order antifreeze *now* so they had enough for winterization.

In general, there have been some supply issues because factories were shut down. On top of that, people are being forced to stay home, with boating being one of the recreational activities *not* shut down. Finally, stimulus checks went out which gave people immediate purchasing power. These are some possible reasons.

I don't know the exact reasons, but demand is way up, and supply is down. The result is prices are up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back