951 di bottom end noise with jugs removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

glfolts

Hi All you motor heads:)

Situation:
I have a 951 DI that blew up the front cylinder (pit marks in the cylinder head, piston top, and cylinder walls.

I pulled the block and cylinders to ship out the top end for re-bore and pistons.

Question:

1) Should I hear a clicking noise when I rotate the crank or should it be quiet when I rotate- Bottom end is in the ski, to cylinder is off.

when I manually turn the crank I hear a clicking noise at specific point in the rotation. I do not know the exact position, but say every time the front piston are goes to bottom crank position I hear like 5 clicks. Sounds in a scare way like a bearing with no retainer and the balls of the bearing fall freely. It could however be from the starter, a pump or some other harmless source.

2) I am leaning toward a full engine rebuild. Has anyone used PWCengine.com? Any options if I go the full rebuild route?

THanks for the help

Oh and I believe you'll want to have seadoo engine shop (ses) do the rebuild. Apparently they are better when it comes to 951'a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main 6 crank bearings have plastic retainers & I have seen several of them now where the bearings go bad & spit out the retainer like a bad lunch. Then the balls will rotate to whatever position they want. Not only will it not feel smooth by this point, but you may hear the balls roll free & hitting each other every once in a while as your turning it over. Not sure if thats what your hearing or not.

It's pretty much never a good idea to reuse a bottom end on a 951. Rebuild it now or rebuild it later, but its gonna happen.

A couple more questions.......

Beside the warranty, gasket, and posters, is there a deference between an SBT premium and standard engine?

Do I need an alignment took or any other special tools to reinstall the motor?

Does anyone know if SES is good alternative as Brianmcb suggested? I would prefer to get my original motor back and get a saltwater one.

Thanks guys

Just an update. All 3 bearings were bad on the mag side of the crank. It was sad. The clicking was bearings with no separator

It's pretty much never a good idea to reuse a bottom end on a 951. Rebuild it now or rebuild it later, but its gonna happen.

It's easier and cheaper to rebuild it now, it's harder to rebuild later when it has a hole in the cases.

Just an update. All 3 bearings were bad on the mag side of the crank. It was sad. The clicking was bearings with no separator

Sadly, Im finding its not uncommon with these engines.
Fog them to death, or death will find them.........

Did any of the the balls break & go through the engine?

A crank bearing did the same thing on my 720 out of my hx. The spacer in the bearing then took out the crank seal

The plastic spacers work really well in these bearings. But when the bearing becomes compromised from rust or other debris, the bearing is no longer smooth running & as the balls chatter & bind the retainer gets ejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back