951 Crank Bearings

Boyd12

I am getting a Seadoo crank rebuilt on a mostly stock 951 and have a question. What bearings should I use? WSM are from China and the last few cranks from them had issues. What other options are there? Japanese, German? Are WSM bearings worth using? Thanks!

What were the bearing problems? Rod bearings or ball bearings on the crank? These cranks are in a tough service and you know lots of time they ingest water, sit for long periods with lots of moisture in there, and are subject to high temperatures created by lean carburetion and the deadly crank seal leak. For the limited hours these engines see, they should run for years before they encounter bearing issues IF the engine is well-cared for. WSM makes a lot of cranks, if they had being issues they would have lots and lots of bearing issues. Personally I'm confident in WSM and have 2 new cranks in boxes I have yet to install. They look good to me.

To me if bearings are failing I'm not blaming the manufacturer first off... too many operator issues can cause the failures. The connecting rod bearings scare me the most. LOL I know owners that run oil pumps and also premix. I also run 100:1 premix in addition to my oil pump. Good luck !!

I would have no issues using WSM but if it was my 951 I would be using OEM. You would have to get the numbers off the OEM bearings as seadoo doesn't sell them anymore.

Back