95 XP with 96 GTS Type 587 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

wavario

Hey all, this is my first post on this site. I am the proud new owner of a 1995 Seadoo XP. I have worked on Snowmobiles, Dirt Bikes, and ATVs for the past 10 years, but never worked on PWCs. I purchased the XP knowing that it had a few problems (wouldn't start), but figured that a simple RV timing alignment or carb cleaning would get it working. It wasn't until after digging into the unit that I noticed that it had a 587 engine rather then a 717.

It is a white 587 engine. It is a twin carb model. It does have spark, new plugs, good compression. The motor cranks well, but doesn't even try to run. After digging deeper into the electronics, I found a 278000423 MPEM (probably the original MPEM that came with the '95 XP), as well as the 278000586 CDI (which according to research has been used with a 587 motor, in the 96 GTS).

My Question is this: Can a 278000423 MPEM work with a type 587 engine? Is there a work around that needs to be implemented, or do I need to purchase a different MPEM to get this engine working?

I appreciate any help with this -- I'm excited to get on my new machine and have fun with the family.

Not sure about the mpem but did you ask if this config worked at one point? If it did it could be something as silly and common as a blocked fuel selector (petcock) or bunged up fuel lines

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Pour a little premix down each sparkplug hole and see if it tries to kick over, if it does, then its carbs, and overhaul the fuel system. That will be the cheapest gamble weather it works or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back