95 xp - oil in starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nis2a

the starter recently went out on my 95 xp, so i have it torn all apart since i have some other work to do to it over the winter, but when i took out the starter it had quite a bit of oil in it, and when i took the cover off the starter fly wheel case (not sure what its called exactly), and there was some oil in it as well. so my question is should this be bone dry in there or do i have some sort of crank shaft bearing or seal go bad. i don't want to just put the new starter in if it will just happen again

thank you

You would have to pressure test your engine to see if your front crank seal is leaking. About 95% of starter failures is worn out brushes. I just replaced my brushes on my 96xp starter and it starts perfect everytime now. The kit can be bought at any seadoo dealer, they are about 42 bucks for both positive and neg brushes. The main culprit is water inside the housing or starter cavity. Oil not so much..

If you had a bad crank seal your boat would start easy when it's cold and then after you ran it for awhile and shut it down it would be hard to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back