95 XP freewheeling

bugsy2517

I was out on my 95 xp 717. After running for about a couple hours with no issues. She just stopped giving thrust. The engine runs but she had no go. I just replaced the wearing a few weeks ago and this was my second time out on it.
It was almost as if it is free wheeling. Remember the plastic kazoo like toys that you blew into and it made a whizzing sound. It sounded like that.
Anybody has any ideas?

First thing is to make sure the driveshaft and pump are spinning with the engine. Pull the gray plastic PTO cover and spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand. If that checks out jam a wrench in the impeller and make sure you can’t turn the engine over by hand.

I can turn it overby hand. If I jam it up i cannot. It will start and idle. Crank shaft spins, impeller spins. I am starting to wonder if it's a heat issue. None of the gauges work and admittedly I am new to this type of engine.

It was the second run on this wear ring. Maybe 3 hours total. And after looking at it today it is in good condition. It did the same thing before and I changed the wear ring. I'm wondering if something is getting too hot. Becuase today it seems to run fine.

Back