95 SPX BEEP-O-RAMA

natek

Ok so I've been futzing with thks for awhile.

Replaced
Battery
Plugs
Wires/coil
Carbs rebuilt

Would just crank and not try to start. I was stumped.

Tonight I decided to mess with it and I got something I've never gotten before, a loud beep. 2 short beeps when putting the key on the safety stop switch, 3 when taking it off (beep beep beeeeep), and now it's doing something really irritating...a long continuous beep about 20-30 seconds after I take the key off the stop switch. It will continue until I push the stop switch...then do it again 20-30 seconds later. It also does it with the key on if I don't try to start it for about that amount of time.

I'm seeing some places that day the beeps indicate a bad ground or a short somewhere but it's for different models than the xp.

Further more, now the ski is actually trying to start more than it ever has. Fuel spitting up from the carbs when before there was from what I could tell very little fuel even going through the lines, water blowing out the exhaust more than ever has before, and it isn't just the starter cranking the engine over.

Any ideas what is causing this beeping or what it means? I assume the beeps are supposed to mean something but I can't narrow down what.

Last edited:
What model do you actually have because a 1995 SPX does not have DESS or a lanyard key?
Second it should never beep with the lanyard removed. Sounds like a MPEM issue if it is.

Lastly, fuel should never be spitting out of the carbs.

What model do you actually have because a 1995 SPX does not have DESS or a lanyard key?
Second it should never beep with the lanyard removed. Sounds like a MPEM issue if it is.

Lastly, fuel should never be spitting out of the carbs.
I'll have to check the valve timing maybe then. It's a 95 SPX. Confirmed with HIN

Update: rotary valve is shot. Doesn't even spin as the crank turns. But still doesn't explain the beeping all of a sudden. So still an open mystery

Back